The Best College in America!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: The Best College in America!
By Harvardguy (Harvardguy) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

In recent years, many students have been attracted to colleges that are not truly comparable to Harvard. I am currently a sophomore at Harvard College. During the past twelve months of my enrollment at Harvard, I have become more and more familiar with the excellence of Harvard College. Therefore, during this memorial weekend I have decided to encourage all students who visit this discussion board to consider Harvard as their number one choice as they decide about their future education. Don’t even bother applying to other schools that can’t even compete with the excellence of Harvard University. You may feel that I am biased, since I am a Harvard student myself; but if you are not convinced about the excellence of Harvard University you can visit their website at www.harvad.edu.

In the following paragraphs, I have provided you with more information about history of Harvard College. All the information is available on Harvard’s web page:

“Harvard University, which celebrated its 350th anniversary in 1986, is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. Founded 16 years after the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, the University has grown from nine students with a single master to an enrollment of more than 18,000 degree candidates, including undergraduates and students in 10 graduate and professional schools.

“Seven presidents of the United States – John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Rutherford B. Hayes, John Fitzgerald Kennedy and George W. Bush – were graduates of Harvard. Its faculty have produced nearly 40 Nobel laureates.”

I sincerely encourage all students to visit Harvard some time during summer. Forget about all the schools you are considering as an option for your future education! Harvard is the best-fit school for all of you hard working students. I wish you best of luck! If you have any questions you can refer to Harvard’s website at www.harvard.edu.

By Collegeguy (Collegeguy) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:53 pm: Edit

Harvardguy,

Ignoring the excellent past of Harvard University, how does the Big H stack up to Princeton and Stanford in terms of academics, weather, and social life?

This is a question, not a challenge.

By Uclanerd (Uclanerd) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

People that come from money tend to become U.S. presidents. I doubt it was the Harvard degree that managed to sculpt them into models of western civilization. You seem like an amiable young man, but please refrain from attempting to promote Harvard, it is getting very redundant.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

harvard sucks

GO TAR HEELS!

By May_1 (May_1) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Look, Harvardguy, I think the whole board is getting tired of your trolling for Harvard. Enough is enough. Harvard is NOT the school for everyone. It is an EXCELLENT school with a longstanding reputation. However, many students may find a far better fit at other schools. Furthermore, some students are simply NOT competitive at that academic level and would not do well in admissions. Also, there are better schools if you plan on majoring in certain subjects (e.g. engineering, architecture). Finally, trying to get tons of people who were previously uninterested in Harvard will merely serve to increase the number of applications, allowing Harvard to reject more people to further increase selectivity and increase its yield. All of this is good for Harvard and Harvard students, not for everyone else.

Moreover, it would be wise for you to stop giving out erroneous and dangerous advice like “Forget about all the schools you are considering as an option for your future education! Harvard is the best-fit school for all of you hard working students” and “Don’t even bother applying to other schools that can’t even compete with the excellence of Harvard University.” People apply to a wide range of colleges so that they have the best chance at choosing where they want to go and not being stuck with one or even no acceptance letter come April! I’m not saying this because I have anything against Harvard; in fact, I intend on applying this fall, along many other schools that are suitable for me. It’s just that you’re making Harvard look, well, cheap with your incessant trolling for more applicants. I think Harvard is prestigious enough to speak for itself and it doesn’t need any students to vouch for it to get tons of applications: it already it does. The reasons you stated are vain and are not related to how a person can use the resources at Harvard to succeed. I’m sure you meant well, but your execution is poor.

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

"don't even bother applying to other schools that can't even compete with the excellence of Harvard University" HAHAHA. Your extreme silliness is laughable. I've taken courses there, and it's not THAT impressive.

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

To each, his/her own.
That applies for colleges too. Harvard's not right for everyone.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

He just wants all the idiots that know crap about the admissions process to apply to Harvard so Harvard can get their scrub $, and reject them hovering over their 10% acceptance rate.

"But you never know until you try..." *rolleyes*

Don't waste your money on false hope. Know what school matches and how "strong" you are in the school's respective applicant pool, if you don't do this and you just apply for the heck of it--you're a dumbass.

Oh and Harvard isn't the best college in America, maybe the best Graduate School, but not college.

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Harvard=Prep School Brats w/ 1600s

NYU!

By Keyboardgunk (Keyboardgunk) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 12:45 am: Edit

Could I possibly get the stats of those accepted to stanford, harvard or princeton?

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:25 am: Edit

Harvardguy probably is the most ignorant person I've ever met on this website.

University of Chicago has about 40 Nobel Laureates and University of Cambridgge has 80. What's the big deal? Rich universities get high profile professors. The real question is, how many of them are willing to spend time with a sophomore.

In what sense, would you argue that Harvard is the best place for everyone? In law, there's no question that Yale is the best in the United States. In engineering, MIT, Stanford, Cal-tech, Berkeley or practically any ivies will be better. Your ignorance and exaggeration simply reveals how uninformed and self-centered Harvard students are.

If you truly want to impress others just by writing the name Harvard on your resume, you should just hush. As soon as you open your mouth and put out your rubbish, everyone will be turned off.

Another thing. It's just an undergraduate degree. Get real, man.

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

I agree with Dream5. I used to think Harvard students were some kind of legacy on the way to becoming great leaders of society, but if this is the kind of people Harvard is graduating, I'll put it under UC Riverside.
And again, Harvard is not that great.

By Aparent (Aparent) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:17 am: Edit

"Harvardguy," the email address you give is not that of a Harvard student.

By Harvardguy (Harvardguy) on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

I appologize everyone. The email address that I provided within my message (pmadison@harvard.edu) was my alternate email address but I did not know that it is not operative any more. Please refer to my profile to obtain my operative email address. Unfortunately, I am not able to change the text of my previous message.

By Wawalu223 (Wawalu223) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

Harvardguy,

I don't know if you know this, but uh HARVARD IS RRALLY REALLY HARD TO GET INTO. If everyone had their heart set on going there, there will be a lot of sadness come April. I mean I used to think I could get into any college cuz I was a good student and had good ECs, but now I realize I'd be lucky if I got into one or two good schools. So perhaps Harvard is prestigious, but everyone of us need to consider other good schools, because college admission is getting more and more competetive. It's not a good bet to have your heart set on any ONE school.

By Tenisghs (Tenisghs) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:17 am: Edit

I thought William and Mary was the oldest school in the naton...

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 09:49 am: Edit

No. It's the oldest *public* college, established 1693.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Oldest Public STATE university = North Carolina! GO TAR HEELS!

By Creatorcat (Creatorcat) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Harvardguy: Is anybody paying you to do this? No ordinary fas student would put such effort and constantly post miraculous messages on Harvard recognition, given how tough the curriculum of this school is and how very little free time students have. Not to even mention that Harvard and other Ivies are, honestly, misfits for most applicants. I guess you're just so mesmerized by Harvard and the fact that you'll graduate from this spectacular institution in a while, that you can't help sharing it with others. And that's nice, but then why are you so desperate to push your attitudes towards others- all of us have our own lives and unique opinions too. I think that whatever further comments you make on this board regarding the school, with your biased reasoning, will only be negative advertising for the school. IMHO, either adjust your attitude and writings here, or simply cut che crap.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page