Cornell M.Eng. (ECE) Fall 2003

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Cornell M.Eng. (ECE) Fall 2003
By Vidhya11 (Vidhya11) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

Hi,

I have received admission to the M.Eng. program in ECE at Cornell starting Fall 2003. There is no financial aid to this course. Can anyone of you please let me know whether it would be ok to join Cornell in view of the recent industrial slowdown. I am presently a Graduate Student with the Universitat Des Saarlandes in Germany, joined in April 2003. Thanks in advance.

Bye, Vidhya

By Fate_Calling (Fate_Calling) on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 03:35 am: Edit

Hello,

I got admitted to the M.Eng program at Cornell for the upcoming fall as well. I went through a painful process deciding which graduate EE program I will attend: Cornell(M. Eng), Michigan (M.S.), Illinois(M.S.), UCLA(M.S.). Initially I thought the Cornell program was awesome, but then later I found out that it is only a program put up by the "career office" of the College of Engineering instead of a formal master's degree granted by the graduate school. Moreover, I found out that the majority of the M. Eng students at Cornell are their own undergrads. This means that they will definitely have a better transition than you can have, given that all the courses are better "connected" for them. Now, I called in the office and was told that this program has a very high acceptance rate, and low turn out rate(exact numbers are better left unsaid for possible liable problems). So I got the impression that this is a program easy to get into but primarily intended for Cornell undergrads as a fifth year of undergrad education. And if you want to go further to get a PhD, I don't think other schools will like this kinda degree and you definitely will not be on the right track for the Cornell PhD. What I realized was that grad school is completely different from undergrad- ivy league master's degree is only good if you can really perform on your job. So the name is less important than going to a school that actually has a better program and course offering than just having a big name. I said that because ivy private schools focus more on research, so it's good if you want to get a PhD. But Cornell offers lots of courses in alternating years as a reflection of their lack of resources, teaching-wise, and their main focus on doctoral students. If you have any thoughts of your own, I would like to listen to them as well, since I'm equally puzzled. I think I will probably go to Michigan though for personal considerations. Hope that helped.

John

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page