Stanford University

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Stanford University
By Rockofeller (Rockofeller) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Hi all. I live within 15 minutes of Stanford University. Is my location helpful or hurtful to my chances of admission? I know my school sends about 2 ppl there every year. Just wondering what close proximity to a school means for admissions. thanks.

By Harvardguy (Harvardguy) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

Forget about Stanford, Rockofeller . Harvard is a great school and it's in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It is one of the best Ivy League schools. Trust me, it's a better school than Stanford. It not only has national reputation but also is internationally known. I suggest that you apply to Harvard and forget about Stanford. If you are not convinced about excellence of Harvard University you can visit their website at www.harvard.edu. You may think that I am biased, since I am a Harvard student myself. But being a Harvard student, I like to encourage people to apply to Harvard. Trust me, its an awesome school!

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 11:26 pm: Edit

Interesting...My son was advised not to go to Harvard because the undergraduate education for him at Harvard would not be challenging enough when compared to Stanford. I was surprised. It was a math teacher that made the recommendation.

We were then advised to talk with a student that is a recent grad of H and he said the same thing. Loved the school but it wasn't challenging enough for him in his major.

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:26 am: Edit

What's this Harvard place people keep mentioning? Is it like a good vocational school or what?

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:41 pm: Edit

lol, fender.

In my opinion...I think the fact that it was disclosed that approximately 92% of the undergraduate grades were A- had something to do with the loss of its' undergraduate luster.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 01:58 pm: Edit

92%? What is this, Harvard Community College or what? It does look too easy -- Harvardguy simply copies and pastes his text in various messages. Is that what you guys do for homework, too?

By Rockofeller (Rockofeller) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

ANYONE WANNA ANSWER MY QUESTION?! sorry, but i think you guys forgot :)

By Harvardguy (Harvardguy) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Fender 1, in the following paragraphs I have provided a concise history of Harvard College. All these information can be found on the webpage that I advised you to visit in my previous statement:

"Harvard is located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, on the eastern coast of the United States.Harvard University, which celebrated its 350th anniversary in 1986, is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. Founded 16 years after the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, the University has grown from nine students with a single master to an enrollment of more than 18,000 degree candidates, including undergraduates and students in 10 graduate and professional schools.

Seven presidents of the United States John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Theodore and Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Rutherford B. Hayes, John Fitzgerald Kennedy and George W. Bush were graduates of Harvard. Its faculty have produced nearly 40 Nobel laureates."

Mr. Quarky, I understand that you may have confused Harvard College with a community college. I don't blame you! the similarity between Harvard College's name and some other schools may lead to such misconceptions.

Mr. Beenthereil, although I myself hold a 4.0 GPA at Harvard College but I can assure you that number of students with high GPAs (3.5-4.0) constitute a small portion of the student body of Harvard College (less than 5 %). I sincerely advise you to visit Harvard's webpage and obtain more information about different aspects of Harvard's excellent academic programs.

By Uclanerd (Uclanerd) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

"Last June, a record 91 percent of Harvard students graduated summa, magna, or cum laude, far more than at Yale (51 percent), Princeton (44 percent), and other elite universities, a Globe study has found"

"It takes just a B-minus average in the major subject to earn cum laude - no sweat at a school where 51 percent of the grades last year were A's and A-minuses."

''Honors at Harvard has just lost all meaning,'' said Henry Rosovsky, a top dean and acting president at Harvard in the 1970s and '80s. ''The bad honors is spoiling the good.''

Instead of pasting everything I read, I will just supply you all with the website . . .

http://www.boston.com/globe/metro/packages/harvard_honors/

Enjoy!

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

Harvardguy...You likely never considered that you would get on a website and try and defend Harvard.
Not sure where you get your 5%, but it isn't current information.

Ucla...Thanks. The link to the article speaks volumes about what has gone on at Harvard.

No one suggest that many, especially on the East Coast, consider Harvard as the only school in America.

Well...the Midwesterns certainly don't feel that way.

By the way, Harvardguy, do Nobel laureates teach any UNDERGRADUATE classes? I'm not talking one teaching one class...I'm asking what %age of the 40 teach/taught undergraduate classes.

While the Ivies were earlier in the mix for my son, I think he's leaning to Stanford and UCLA and beyond because of the weather.

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Harvard is no where near as good as school as Stanford, Princeotn, MIT, etc. for undergrad--Harvard has a great Liberal Arts deparment, but so does Stanford--but Harvard for math, science, economics IS NO WHERE NEAR STANFORD--I mean harvard engineering is pitiful---A lot of great math/science minds go to harvard engineering and then get ••••••, never recuperate, and by time of Grad school, they can't compete with kids from Stanford/MIT/Caltech etc.

Harvard has great grad schools, but for undergrad, it is just a NAME--and if you go there for just the name, then you suck.

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

You know why Harvard is grade-inflating? BEcause they know that their undergrad program sux and the only way they are going to get good alumni is if they give them all good grades so they get into great grad schools, and futher promote the harvard name...pff harvard sux soo much.

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Stanford, Yale, MIT, Princeton, etc. are better than Harvard.

and the exception:
Harvard is better than Harvard Community College

By Uncchlocalmayor (Uncchlocalmayor) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

hey Harvardguy, are you related to President Madison? If so, go figure why you're there.

By Altereagle (Altereagle) on Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 07:39 pm: Edit

What's interesting is that I recently attended the inauguration of a college president at a different school. After the ceremony was over, the Harvard representative wanted to know how we found out about this school, and when I told him the process, and that my child had visited several schools in the Boston area, but that this one seemed to be the best fit, his response to me was: "Your child will get a better education here than Harvard"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page