Are my grades....worthless now?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Are my grades....worthless now?
By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:49 am: Edit

hi all, for all of you who are familiar with the IGCSEs...

... i am messing some up quite alarmingly.

most of you seem to be in an american/indian school system, so i'm hoping some of you will be able to help me out - but i'm open to anything, so: IGCSEs are international exams taken at 15/16, marked 1 - 7 (U - A*), a whole range of subjects (i'm taking 10 of them).

My school follows the IGCSE curriculum, and after the mocks and coursework came in a month ago, i was predicted all 7s (A*s) except for additional maths (the top level they offer) for which i was predicted a 6 (A). That was nice. They became my transcript grades. That was nice too.

At the moment, due to a whole bunch of reasons which are basically just excuses (SARS epidemic - i'm clean, stay... - not having seen a page of the science exam printed on the back) that won't hold, i'm now looking at mostly 6s... with the possibility of one 5 in geo...

These IGCSE grades go on my transcript, and i know the juxtaposition of the school's grades and my IGCSE grades are going to nail me with college admin (wow, this school is lenient / she got lazy / did she think we wouldn't see these??).

My question is what can i do now? Contrary to what these grades say i am not lazy, and my school is not easy...but my transcript's nearly-straight-'7's leaves me little room to show an upward trend. It seems that now, even if i make straight-7s next year (at IB, btw - looking forward to that) they're worthless now, because i'll always only be at a mostly-6s-and-a-5 level.

please help,
julia

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:57 am: Edit

mm, i'd better add that i'm strongly science oriented, which is why the thought of a 6 is truly driving me up the wall.

i'm a US citizen with a mom in S. Cali (although i'm overseas in China - not considered international tho, i think) and i've been dreaming of UCB. <-- do i still have a shot?

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

bump!

By Me1 (Me1) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Could you have your guidance counselor address the issue in his recommendation of you? I'd assume you are taking SAT II's if you are applying to high-level colleges. I think that good SAT II scores help show that you do have knowledge of the subjects. Good luck~

By Divingin (Divingin) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 06:51 am: Edit

hmm let me see if i can be of ANY help ... definitely ask your guidance counselor about school policy and IF in any way your scores can be witheld from universities (at my school, this is policy- we don't release unless they're good). if not, then well i'm sorry but it doesn't sound like there's much you can really do to change anything- just work hard in your IBs and do really well (i come from an IGCSE/IB school)- you obviously know the material well enough to get predicted 7s (earlier in the year) so i know you're a capable competant person. you still DO have a shot at ucb i'm sure, just work your head off on the SATs and see if you can take any AP tests to score some 4s and 5s.

By Radical (Radical) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 12:08 pm: Edit

I dont think A's are that different from A*s at GCSE level, why are you fretting?

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:05 am: Edit

truly, radical?

it seems too good to be true...!

actually, all of you guys have been real nice, thanks so much for the lift.

me1 - yes! i will be doing SAT2s...i didn't think of that. As for hte guidance counselor..i'll have to meet him first :p, we start with this whole college guidance the last month of this year.

divingin - thanks to you too for faith in my ability...was beginning to lose that. APs...hrrmph...i'll have to look around - i'd be surprised if i found a center here - and no, my school doesn't withold the grades. I thought that was illegal actually [don't worry, i'm only saying this on a public forum...;) ].

By Divingin (Divingin) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 06:12 am: Edit

usually if your school isn't a test center there's a neighboring international school or something that is an AP center ... check it out :-) all the best!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page