HELP - I NEED SOMEBODY - HELP - NOT JUST ANYBODY - HELP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: HELP - I NEED SOMEBODY - HELP - NOT JUST ANYBODY - HELP
By Thevolume (Thevolume) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

I have a two questions about my schedule next year.
1) I am a junior and this year i am taking spanish (my 3rd year) and french (my first year). Next year I plan to continue spanish but my schedule will be very full if i continue french. i was wondering if any college would find it weird that I only took one year of french.

2) A friend of mine wanted me to ask if AP Statistics is considered a good class and if her chances in college would be hurt if she only took that (instead of classes like Multivariable Calculus that are offered in our school)

Thanks a lot for your input!

-Volume

By Sluggbugg (Sluggbugg) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

1. Thevolume, I can't vouch for all admission committees, but imho, I don't think that your one year of French is going to hurt your chances of getting into college.

It's going to be perceived in the same way as any short-term activity is perceived. Either you tried it and didn't like it, or you had to prioritize your classes the following year, and you chose to build up your more established subjects. It's fine to try things in high school and change your mind! But, you want the overall impression of your high school grades and activities to reflect consistency. Adcoms want to see depth, not width, i.e. a commitment to a select number of activities over time, not a bunch of hit-and-miss attempts throughout high school.

I can assure you, though, they expect students to try new things each year, and that won't work against you if you balance it with depth in other areas of interest.

2. I'd recommend to your friend that she ask her counselor about AP Statistics vs. Multivariable Calc. If the counselors at your h/s aren't that helpful, she should talk to the teachers, and then, to other students who have taken either class. Each class is going to be a challenge. I know that in college, Statistics can be a killer class (and not in a good way!). She needs to figure out which class makes more sense in terms of her particular abilities and interests.

The AP class may carry more credit than the Calc class. Weigh that against which class is going to fit her interests more. Factor in the teacher's rep and how much homework is involved. She'll have to take that under consideration in terms of her overall class load, and how it fits in with ec's &/or a possible p/t job. I'd say that she needs to gather more info before she makes her decision. AP Stats has the AP label, so it will automatically stand out on her transcript. BUT, it's not worth taking if she hates the class and struggles all year long vs. doing well in the Calculus class. I'm not a math person, but I think Calculus is probably the better foundation for Statistics later on, but I don't know that for sure.

My daughter stayed on the Calculus track, and completed Calc AB/BC her senior year. I don't think her chances of getting into college were diminished in any way because she didn't have Statistics.

By Chillax (Chillax) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 04:41 pm: Edit

ap statistics is probably one of the easiest ap classes. we finished out textbook with 9 weeks to spare and haven't been learning anything since.

By Thevolume (Thevolume) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

thanks for your help you guys!

By Aparent (Aparent) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

If she has already taken BC Calc, which is what I'm assuming if she's considering multivariable calc, then that's great. Multivariable calc is pretty much for people who want to go into science and engineering. So...if that's her path, then it would be good to take it. If she is looking toward social science, business, etc., then AP Stat is a very useful course, though many top colleges don't give credit for it. As the above poster said, it's also a nice, easy AP course. ;-)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page