Poll: how much easier do the legacies have it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Poll: how much easier do the legacies have it?
By Miller (Miller) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Hi, this is poll is dedicated to finding out what the stats were of accepted legacies in the ivy league. The goal is to generate a better idea of how much lesser qualified, if they have, they have been. It is also important to list ea vs ed if you are a legacy. Please do not post if you are also an athlete, that is an entirely different statistic. I am trying to find out who the lowest scoring legacies have been who were admitted, as well as examining their average qualifications.

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

In the ivy league, its like 10-15 percent at most schools, for legacies its about 40 percent.

By Miller (Miller) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

thanks for your reply ndhawk. However, does anyone know, what respective gpas are earned by legacies. For instance, do legacies with 3.75 gpas with 1600s on sats become admitted, because many non-legacies with these same credentials are rejected. Basically, im wondering if anyone has enough knowledge of the system in order to produce an accurate table for each ivy league school for the general sat and gpa scores that put a legacy into the competetive range, and also one for non-legacies, because im interested in the degree to which it is a factor in determining acceptance. In addition, if anyone knows a table like this for ed and ea applicants that would be great too. I know it seems like a lot of useless work, but if you know this information, i know I and probably many others on this board would appreciate a somewhat realistic figure of these sorts of statistics.

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

sorry i don't have any scores... but i do have a story, which shows that legacies must have it EXTREMELY easy. there is this one senior at my school who is an "academic nobody", who is not in any clubs or any sports team, and whom i have never heard of before until a few days ago; he got accepted to stanford - his dad went there and was valedictorian. oh yeah, sorry i just remebered stanfords not an ivy league. so basically this has nothing to do with your post. sorry. but anyway the whole thing makes me extremely angry.

By Miller (Miller) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

thanks for the info almostdone
bump

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

umm... try reading the book A is For Admissions.

By Smartaleck (Smartaleck) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

to avoid such questions, many schools admit legacies as sophmores when the spolight is less.

By Miller (Miller) on Tuesday, May 27, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

thats an interesting point smartaleck. How do schools go about this: by letting legacies by w/l and having them defer for a year or by giving them easier transfer criteria? I'd really appreciate it if you'd elaborate on your point some more, because I think it may be a very good one that many may wish to hear.

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

well i kno georgia tech is not an ivy but my friend managed to pull a 1510 on his sats and has nothing else his gpa is 3.0UW and like 3.6W yet he got it. His e/c were sad, like 10 hours volunteer at church and math club participant. Yet for the past 2 generations, every single part of his family has went to georgia tech, so guess what he got it. I mean his mom, dad, grandparents on both sides and his parennts bros and sis's..

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page