Any Transfers get in to Duke or Stanford?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Any Transfers get in to Duke or Stanford?
By Smith (Smith) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 05:39 am: Edit

Hi Guys,

I just received a couple of rejection letters from Stanford and Duke. I don't know the figure for acceptances to Stanford, but Duke only accepted 30 / 400.

I've actually been left in the position of waiting until next year to apply again.
I just wondered if any of you fortunate enough to be accepted could post your stats.

Any advice for next year would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jamie

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:27 am: Edit

did you apply freshman this year and are planning on a transfer next year?

By Smith (Smith) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:52 pm: Edit

Hi Gogirl,

I applied as a transfer this year. I actually graduated from community college last summer, and have spent this past year working to pay for college.

By Cardinal (Cardinal) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:26 pm: Edit

I just got into Stanford and Duke as a junior transfer from Simon's Rock College of Bard (www.simons-rock.edu) in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. It's a tiny liberal arts college (~400 students) designed specifically for students who can and wish to begin college early.

I got a full scholarship and started college after 10th grade. My high school GPA was 4.0 and my current collge GPA is 3.92. SAT I: 760V, 800M; SAT II: 800s in Writing, Chemistry, and Math IIC. I applied as a biology major to both schools.

I have some awards in math and science competitions and am a National Merit Finalist. In college, I am an officer in the science club, write a column for the school paper, serve as a peer tutor and a campus tour guide, and participate in community service projects. I worked the past summer in a lab at Stanford Medical School.

My reasons for transferring were the need for more advanced courses, particularly in molecular biology, and the wish to pursue biomedical research as an undergraduate.

I am neither an underrepresented minority nor a legacy. I also got into UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Rice. I have yet to hear back from MIT and Cornell, but Stanford has always been my #1 choice.

Where are you going to school? And are you a freshman or a sophomore? If you're a freshman, try your hardest in and out of classes and reapply next year. I think it is also important to outline your reasons for seeking transfer. For example, if you went to Yale, you'd probably need other reasons for transferring besides academic offerings. A particular professor you want to work with? A special program that's unavailable at your current institution? You get the idea.

Good luck!

By Fimoc (Fimoc) on Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

Cardinal- I am a high school sophomore thinking of going to Simon's Rock, but was a little unnerved when i heard that some pretty smart relatives had trouble transferring from one college to another. Their concerns were that I would have problems transferring out of Simon's Rock after the two years.

How hard is it to transfer to schools like Stanford and Duke from Simon's Rock? If I wanted to transfer to a high caliber school such as these, what are some good tactics?

By Cardinal (Cardinal) on Thursday, April 01, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

Hi Fimoc,

You may want to check out these posts regarding transferring from Simon's Rock on the school's LiveJournal community: http://www.livejournal.com/community/simonsrock/90181.html, http://www.livejournal.com/community/simonsrock/90473.html.

My personal experience tells me that it really isn't that difficult to transfer from Simon's Rock to good schools. I myself was accepted by Stanford, Duke, UC Berkeley, UCLA, Cornell, and Rice. In my graduating class of ~110, I know about 10 people who got into Cornell, 5 who got into Brown, 3 into Stanford, 1 into Yale, a number into the University of Chicago, various UCs, the University of Wisconsin, Rice, etc. You name it. Harvard, however, does not accept transfers from Simon's Rock, and Princeton does not accept transfer students at all. Basically, you just need to work hard at Simon's Rock, get good grades, do some extra-curricular activities. The professors will write AMAZING recommendation letters because it is so easy to get to know them personally.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page