It's Official from MIT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: It's Official from MIT
By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Well, 7.5 months after sending in my application, I finally got my decision from MIT. It's dated May 16 (I live just north of Cambridge which is why I received it today):

Dear Ted,

Because we are over-enrolled, I am sorry to tell you that we will not be admiting anyone from the Waiting List this year. This is very disappointing for the Admissions Office staff because you are such a strong applicant as well as a wonderful person. Not being able to admit you is a loss for MIT.

Thank you for hanging in there with us this long. We wish you the best of luck as you continue your education and expect you to do great things in the world!

Best regards,
Marilee Jones
Dean of Admissions

By Jje (Jje) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

You should be touched. I just can't see MIT being so warm.

By Sluggbugg (Sluggbugg) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:17 am: Edit

That's the most complimentary rejection letter I've ever seen, Ted!

I don't know what criteria they used for putting you on the waitlist, but to elicit that kind of recognition from a school that is not recognized for its warmth, you must have made an impression. It looks like at least one real human being at MIT cared enough to let you know that it's their loss more than it is yours. Considering the number of applicants they had and the caliber of those who applied, that's an amazing letter.

Where will you be attending, instead?

By Tedhammond (Tedhammond) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

I'm headed to Cornell.

I agree with you, and that letter is very nice. I have a feeling, though, that it is the standard letter that all waitlisters will receive. But it did make me feel a little better. :-)

-Ted

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Strange though, there must be something going on with the waiting list. I called the 16th (the day of your letter Ted) and they told me that chances where that no one will be taken off, but that it wasn't final.
I just called a minute ago, and they told me they will be making final decisions on the waiting list at the end of this week, and told me to call at the beggining of next week to know for sure...

By Wanksta33 (Wanksta33) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Same letter here...i'm going to Wharton tho... go Penn!

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Either they don't want to tell official decisions through the phone or there's somtheing strange going on. hmm....

By Medprof (Medprof) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 08:23 am: Edit

This batch of letters were sent out on the 16th. Apparently at least one person on the waitlist near Boston did not get the letter yet on the 19th. It is possible that they are still holding on to a much smaller waitlist for the final decision.

By Gettingnowhere (Gettingnowhere) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

That's the letter I got too. But hey Ted, you have Cornell!

By Yoyo (Yoyo) on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

yep, that's the letter i got...i was slightly dejected since i went up to MIT after hearing that i was on the waitlist and personally talked to the dean of admissions as well as the varsity lacrosse coach about how MIT has been my dream school...i'll be going to northwestern instead

By Heartfang (Heartfang) on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 08:49 am: Edit

Can you give your stats, pls? Pretty pretty please.... Thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page