Arts at NYU & Cornell?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Arts at NYU & Cornell?
By Lovelypsycho (Lovelypsycho) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 05:52 am: Edit

This is sort of a multiple question, plus lots of explanation. :D First off, I am a non-traditional student. I graduated from high school in 1995 with a 3.6 GPA and was in the top 10% of my class. I only had a 26 on my ACT, did not take SAT I and scored poorly on SAT II. I had a ton of extracurriculars. I only applied to USC and was accepted, but could not go due to finances (or lack thereof). I did one year of comminity college, but my grades slowly dropped due to working full time and also depression due to being involved in an abusive relationship. At the end of the school year I only had a 3.5 GPA. I did not return to school after that. Since 1997 I've run my own small business but I would like to return to school full time. I went back to community college in January 2003 for one class and I'm finishing that up tomorrow. I will also be taking another class over the summer. I suspect that my GPA will be raised slightly to a 3.6 after completion.

So now onto the questions. I would like to major in the arts (studio), with a possible double major or minor in film. I would like to apply to both Cornell and NYU. What do you think my chances of getting into either are? I am committed to school now at age 26 and I have the focus that I lacked when I was younger. Should I consider doing another full year at community college first to boost my GPA? Or should I apply now, and reapply later if I get rejected?

All that said, a question specific to NYU is should I apply to Gallatin or Steinhardt? I really like the idea of Gallatin (especially since I have an interest in studio art, film, music and other areas) but I'm not sure if it's a practical thing.

I know that both schools are very competetive. But I am also aware of the fact that many art majors have less than stellar GPAs, test scores etc. What has been anyone's experience with applying to a good school in the area of studio arts? How was the portfolio review etc.? Any information or advice is extremely helpful. Thank you! :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page