Notre Dame Admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Notre Dame Admissions
By Mfacusse (Mfacusse) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

University of Notre Dame

My father attended this school in the 1940's. He is a favored alumn who makes great contributions to the university. Also, my sister currently attends the school.

Would this help me in the application process? I am a foreigner with a 1300 in the SAT, 3.8 GPA, and a high TOEFL score (287).

What do you think my chances are for next year? (considering I will improve my SAT score).

Thanks

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

mf...What a silly question.

Your first two sentences answered your question.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 04:08 am: Edit

You'll get in, even without improving your GPA (but you should just to be safe). ND is big in this legacy things, if your pa is a favored alum who makes great contributions.

By Docmom (Docmom) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:14 am: Edit

I wouldn't be so sure. I'd improve my SAT score, as well, which you should be able to do.

ND has many, many alumni who make what would be considered major gifts.

By Evergreen (Evergreen) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Hey, I'm waitlisted at ND. This sorta surprised me, because my SATs were around 1500, I had several very good recs, and a very good record altogether. On the other hand, I have no relatives that went there, so that really hurt me. Any other advice for me? I wrote a letter, another teacher sent in a recommendation, and I believe another another teacher called them. Does anyone know any numbers for the waitlist at ND?

Thanks!

By Intangible (Intangible) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

I really dont think legacies play that much of a factor in admissions at ND. Granted, a large number of students there are legacies as compared to other comparative institutions, but one has to keep in mind ND's strong school spirit tend to influence alum's children's perspectives on the school. I'll bet there's an extremely high percentage of legacy applicants. I got in with SATs in the 1400's, great recs, essay, and ec's. No legacy here either.

By Mfacusse (Mfacusse) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

I really want to go there. The football games are just incredible, and the spirit is amazing. I'll try my best to get in!

And, I'll try to raise my SAT to a 1400..

By Ashleycrombie (Ashleycrombie) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

i have a friend (international) who got in based on his GCE O'Level results, which is the british exam you take in 10th grade. he got in with a low 1300+ SAT, no recruitment, no junior and senior year. only 7 - 10 grade transcript.

By Intangible (Intangible) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

I'd say work on the EC's (atheletics?) b/c 80% of the student population used to be varsity atheletes in HS. From the looks of things, they prefer very well-rounded individuals. Oh yeah, I'm agnostic, so there goes that "you can only get in if you're a Catholic legacy" deal.

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

we know who's not an athlete.

By Mfacusse (Mfacusse) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Well, lets see.. I'm in Varsity Swimming, I've been doing varsity soccer, and I'll be doing tennis. I'm also going to harvard over the summer.

Senior Year Schedule:
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics
AP Physics
Precalculus
Myth and Literature
Writing Workshop

Is it good enough for ND?

By Mfacusse (Mfacusse) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Well, lets see.. I'm in Varsity Swimming, I've been doing varsity soccer, and I'll be doing tennis. I'm also going to harvard over the summer.

Senior Year Schedule:
AP Microeconomics
AP Macroeconomics
AP Physics
Precalculus
Myth and Literature
Writing Workshop

Is it good enough for ND?

By Intangible (Intangible) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I would say so. Just make sure your essay and rec's are top-notch, and you should be in. However, keep trying to improve the SATs and GPA. After all, better ones can't hurt.

By Mfacusse (Mfacusse) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 06:43 pm: Edit

I'm looking forward to it. ND is a great school

By Mfacusse (Mfacusse) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

well, how certain are you guys that ND favors legacy?

By Congocross (Congocross) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 04:38 pm: Edit

How Certain...??

Considering 22% of the Enrollment is Children of Alumni. (careful of the wording, enrollment NOT admittance) That means over 1 out of 5 Students at ND have legacy.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page