Private lessons?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Private lessons?
By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I have taken private music lessons since kindergarten. Should I put this at all on my application? I would only put 9th - 12th, if that at all. Also, under hours per week, should I put how long the actual lessons are, or should I add the time I had to prepare for it? The lessons were 1-2 hours, but I practice 2 hours each day (Which my teacher requires in order for me to continue taking lessons from him). One more thing: If I went to university music camps, should I put that on my applications also?

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Don't stress how much lessons you took, instead stress on how much you have actually learned and accomplished.

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 07:50 pm: Edit

I know that, but on applications it asks you to list your activities and how many hours each one took per week and how many weeks per year. It is not like I was going to put that in an essay.

By Nymom (Nymom) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Of course put all the time you spend on your music! (You could put something like "Piano, 20 hours per week, study & rehearsal.") And definitely mention the summer program! It sounds like music is a very important part of your life; why wouldn't you write about it in an essay?

By Kelly_Johnson (Kelly_Johnson) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

Oh, I meant that I will not be putting how much time I put into music in an essay. I do not know what the essay topics are, I might talk about music in my life if it seems logical. I am not going to major in music, just be in orchestra and pep band. Thanks for answering! :-)

By Nymom (Nymom) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:27 am: Edit

I see, maybe you don't want to recite numbers in your essay, but make sure you convey your level of commitment.

By Shennie (Shennie) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

I would definitely add up all the hours you commit to your instrument and put them down on the application. Instrumental music is a big time commitment and colleges like to see commitment to your activities. It can also help to explain why you don't have 20 other activities listed. And definitely put down your summer music camps. Again, this shows depth of interest and commitment to something that is very important to you.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:56 am: Edit

I think you should include that you did music seriously K-12, not just 9-12. Colleges don't want to hear details about awards and coursework prior to high school, but I think that if you started an activity as a young child and continued through high school that's worth telling them. It's definitely more impressive than if you just started it as a 9th grader.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page