Volunteering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Volunteering
By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Hi I was just wondering how much community service is required to actually make a big difference in your application. Is there a difference between 100 and 1000 service hours? Couldn't people lie about it? I'm asking because I recently started volunteering at a museum in Boston. Thanks.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

Anyone?

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

I don't think that volunteering makes a tremendous difference in college acceptance. It might help more when applying for a paying job though.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

Thanks. I was just wondering because I have seen posts where they say that "you dont have enough community service, etc."

By Drdrumz (Drdrumz) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

what are u guy's talking about. volunteering is very important. if you have 100 hours you do get some special scholarship (minimal), but if you have anywhere from 200-500, colleges like it a lot.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

My daughter had 2000 hours of community service before she graduated high school ( she began when she was 12)
Then she took a gap year to do more volunteer work
Although she did it because she wanted to and not because she thought it would make her stand out, the bonus was that she was admitted to a school that was a reach and she also recieved a very nice finaid package.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 10:12 pm: Edit

Thanks! Although I do love my volunteer job, it's nice to know that it could help me later (when college admission time comes around)

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

can you start reporting volunteer hours from when you're 12, that's like in grade 6, not even in high school yet, everyone would have mega hours on the shelf if that were the case

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

2000 hours is a hella lot. When you are a young volunteer, child labor laws don't apply. I complained about how many hours she put in during the school year and summers. However, she loved it most of the time and she learned a lot. I was proud of her for working so hard. I certainly don't think most kids have to put that much time in unless they really want to.

I don't think most kids will start volunteering when they are 12. This was a fluke in the program she was involved in. Now it is so popular that you sign up when you are 12 and if you are lucky you get called to volunteer when you are 14.
What I have observed is many kids don't start volunteering until their school requires it for graduation. Then they just do the minimum, although some people actually enjoy it, and while they were pressured into it initially, may continue some sort of community service after fulfilling the requirements.
That is what it is all about.
Schools want to know about lifelong interests, they can tell if you just picked up something freshman year because your Dad told you it would look good on an app., or if you are doing it because you love it.
Many kids feel they can't afford to volunteer, they need money for gas or school clothes or Cd's. I know what that is like, I had to earn money to buy school clothes except for one new pair of shoes every year.
I still however feel that time is the most precious thing you can give. To be able to really help somebody, brings a gift in return. Volunteering can give you experience in fields outside of ones that usually employ high school students.

By Fiza (Fiza) on Saturday, June 07, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

Where on the college application do you put volunteer work??

By Drdrumz (Drdrumz) on Sunday, June 15, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

I thought applications is only about activities from 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th...

By Drdrumz (Drdrumz) on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

bump

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page