DESPERATE 4 BERKELEY!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: DESPERATE 4 BERKELEY!
By Ibkid (Ibkid) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

How " hard" is it to get into Berkeley??
I mean...what do they look at mostly?
Also what is it good for?...arts/sciences?
Anyone from Berkeley or going there who could give me some info?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

How hard? Difficult but not that hard. Have a 1300+ SAT score with good EC's and a high GPA and be a CA resident and you'll have a good shot.

What's it good for? Many things. Business, engineering, and most sciences.

By Candyice (Candyice) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

why do so many california colleges want california residents? when the out-of staters pay the most and bring them more money

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

They are state universities, not private institutions.

Its only the UC's that are like that. You'll find that places like UNC-Chapel Hill and other UNC's are the same way.

By Blushingclover (Blushingclover) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Ibkid -- This year, I think that the admissions at the UCs (part. UCLA and Berkeley) were rather random and depended a lot on your luck too. For example, a friend of mine got accepted with a 1270, 600 average SAT IIs, okay ECs and a decent, but not great, GPA. On the other hand, another one of my friends who had a 34 on his ACT and 1400+ on his SAT I, about 650 average SAT IIs, really good ECs and a high ranking got rejected by Berkeley, UCLA AND UCSD.

Berkeley is known for almost all subjects, but mainly in the sciences. It has a really good English, history and political science program among others too though.

Advice for getting into Cal? Get a high SAT score. I'd say 1400+, maintain a high GPA, and score well on your SAT IIs (part. in writing). The UCs place a fairly significant emphasis on SAT IIs. Also, extracurriculars and write a good essay. In the end, your essay will be what separates you from everyone else. Oh and have fun. :) In the end, that's what high school's all about ^_^

g'luck =)

Candyice -- They want CA residents because CA taxpayers pay for a lot of the fees.

By Chiangkaishrek (Chiangkaishrek) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 04:30 am: Edit

Yup, it is too darn true that UC's predominantly favor California residents.

I know a girl from my high school in Washington State, very intelligent girl, math team, plays volleyball, tennis, speech debate, 1400+ SAT and VERY high GPA....yet Berkeley rejected her.

She ended up going to Cal Tech...but that school is a freakin' rip off institute..and Berkeley is way cheaper.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page