Is black belt considered honor/award?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Is black belt considered honor/award?
By Drdrumz (Drdrumz) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

I have been taking karate for 10 years now. I will be getting my black belt in June. I have been looking at many applications and see the "honor/award" category. Is a black belt considered an honor/award? Can I write tha in "honor/award" and "karate" in EC activities?

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Obviously!

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:12 pm: Edit

Yes! Anything worthwhile that you spend a lot of time on counts as an extracurricular, and any honors you gain in it should "count" on your app. So karate, showing livestock, ballet, theater, art, music, whatever all counts even if you do it outside your school.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:13 pm: Edit

good job, finally that's a black belt worth putting down, for tai kwon doe, ppl get lack belts after a couple years and it's a misconception that the achievement is commensurate with that of attaining a black belt in karate, i was getting my green belt, while my friend, who started tai kwon doe after like 2 years was already going fr her black belt, i was like, oooooookkkkkkkk, but whatever

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 07:56 pm: Edit

Yes, put it down! It will show that you have a personality and that you are not a robot that studies for 10 hours a day. Not only that but achieving an honor such as a black belt is something to be proud of.

By Troy (Troy) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:04 pm: Edit

TKD is a horrible style and as mentioned earlier...not that difficult to advance in. My personal favorite is Wing Chung Kung Fu...it's a beautiful fighting style. Though, muy thai and gracie jujitsu are quite fun as well when you're really angry.

By Drdrumz (Drdrumz) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

yea karate is great. it has taught me a lot not only in martial arts but as a person as well. thanks for your replies.

By Militarygrade (Militarygrade) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

My monkey style is far more powerful than your tiger style.

Let's kung fu!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page