PLEASE HELP me get in UCLA!!!! im serious***

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: PLEASE HELP me get in UCLA!!!! im serious***
By Anisociafrk (Anisociafrk) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

lately ive been having many bad days worrying about college, every morning i wake up and realize how much of a loser i am in life D; , heres my story:
recently my parents had been pressuring me from going to a top college. Since many of my relatives and cousin had gotten and will get into schools like ucla, stanford, berkley..*no kidding*, Ill probaly be looked upon as a failure if i dont live up to the bar of my parents expections (being azn sucks), and ull probably think that i should just live my own life and enjoy it, but the pressure is just too much to bear, on the other hand i really want to make my parents happy =(,
thanx for listen to my life story and heres my main problem,.. i really ****ed up my grade this year (im a sophomore), my records are one of the worst, without swimming the only extracurricular activities i have are spending the whole day skateboarding or goofing around, im not involved in any club or community service whatsoever... i dont want the 4 years of high school ruin the rest of my life so plz post away any advice you have or any of your personal experience, anything would be appreciated cuz im desperate ( is it hopeless for me if i got a couple of Ds or F's in my sophomsore year? wat should i do to be more involved? what should i do this summer so it might help me with my college admission?.etc...) ty in advance =)

By Retrospect (Retrospect) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

sup
too bad about your sophomore year, if you get 4.0 next year and study hard for sat 1 and sat2's (over 1500 for sat 1, above 730's for sat 2's) you should have a good shot at LA and Berkeley, and explain in your essay about something that happened in your life that caused such a severe grade drop in sophomore year
good luck

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Just let the colleges know that you've figured out your priorities after your sophomore year and started kicking butt in junior/senior years, then you'll be fine.

By Demiurge (Demiurge) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

I don't want to dampen your hopes or anything, but ucla? with D's and F's? Um, no. I wouldn't count on it. Aim for the other UC's.

The UC's aren't that hard to get into if you have the grades, except for maybe berkeley; they can afford to choose a more "well-rounded" class. You won't be able to get a high enough GPA to secure getting in, even if you get all A's next year, so focus on your ec's, essay, and sat 2 scores. The UC's put the most emphasis on SAT 2 writing. Take a few college courses, if you're good at swimming do that, etc. Join a few clubs next year, and just do what you like to do.

Davis or santa barbara might accept you if you do well enough next year.

But then again, you might get lucky. I got into berkeley with C's, but I had high quality EC's and scores to back me up.

By Troy (Troy) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:52 am: Edit

This is what you can do: A buddy of mine did this a few years back.

1. Bust your butt and get your grades up to a reasonable level over the next two years.

2. Pick up an EC or two to keep your mind off the stress and the parents (not to impress colleges)...whether it be water polo, swimming, work, or something else, find something you can do for a few hours to get away from everything.

1 and 2 usually go hand in hand, and you'll do much better in school once you put together a daily routine.

3. Finally (here's the tough part), if you don't get into a college you 'really' want to go to, get into an honors program at a JC that gurantees transfer to UCLA. Remember, no matter how you/parents feel over the few years, these moments build character and you'll be a better person for it afterwards.

My friend took this route after screwing up in High School, and eventually got really good grades at JC and transferred to a respectable uni. He then proceeded to kick arse at the Uni and is now at one of the top grad schools in the country for his major.

Good Luck

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page