Job or Summer Program?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Job or Summer Program?
By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

I was debating either attending a summer program or job. The summer program is the JSA program @ Georgetown in DC. I am interested in politics and Georgetown is one of my top-choice colleges. I'd also be able to experience life away from home. For the job, I would be a camp-counselor supervising a special-needs camper. I would be making money, instead of having to pay almost $4,000 for a 3 week program & I think the camp seems like it would be a fun job. Does anyone have any opinions about which is better to do?

By Jollyapplepie (Jollyapplepie) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

You should probably pick the job. Although going to Georgetown may seem impressive on your resume, helping needy children will show more of your personality. Colleges will be impressed by the fact that there is another side of you (away from the academics). Anyway, I don't think summer programs are that competitive, so they really aren't THAT impressive. Hope that helped!

By Mmalik111 (Mmalik111) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

JSA is good if you are serious about politics and wish to pursue a career in law/politics, some people say it looks bad because it is for the wealthy but I highly doubt that admissions officers think like that. In fact from what I hear JSA a rigorous and demanding program that demands a lot out of its students including a 15 page research paper, but whatever you pick make sure it reflects you and your passions.

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

The job. The admissions office will feel sympathy for you and it will be a good essay topic. The JSA means nothing because anyone could spend money to get in, it's more social than academic.

By Helix (Helix) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

Oh you people saying it's social are just jealous. Any baffoon can see by looking and experiencing the Gtown program that it isn't for average HS students. JSA is more worthwhile if you want to go into Law and Politics

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

If there's a money issue the job, otherwise the program. I'm going to a six week program this summer, but its a part of the governor's honors program, 675 juniors and seniors selected, and I don't have to pay a dime, all tax-payers and government money. :)

By Chrisy (Chrisy) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

helix: I went to the Harvard Summer Program, and it was more social then academic.

By Helix (Helix) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Well, it's what you make of it then. I will post my experience when I return.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page