What are some good reach, match, & safety colleges for me?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: What are some good reach, match, & safety colleges for me?
By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

My stats are:

1460 SAT (720V/740M) 1st try, retaking after prep. to hopefully improve (I'd estimate that I'd get around 1490-1500 but who really can be sure)
SAT IIs: took writing, chem, & US in may. taking math in june. didnt get any back, but estimate around 770-800 writing, mid to low 700s on the rest

GPA 4.51 weighted. all A's & A+s. We don't officially rank but I'm #1. the class profile lists the maximum GPA (which is mine) so hopefully the colleges can infer that I'm #1.

5 AP Euro. 10th grade. In AP Chem, US & Eng Lang this yr. Next yr. 4 APs + 1 college level course.

Involved w/EC's & volunteering w/a few leadership positions but no hook or anything particularly AMAZING.

I want to major be a news reporter. My first choice major is journalism, but I would major in PolSci if wherever I went didn't have journalism.

What are some good schools for me to consider? I would like to be in the range of not south of DC & not north of Boston/Upstate NY & not west of Pennsylvania.

By Spunkymunky (Spunkymunky) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Your stats are very similar to mine. If you were considering a school west of Pennsylvania, I'd definitely tell you to consider Northwestern. They've graduated 40 Pulitzer Prize winners from their school of Journalism.

Anyways...I'd recommend Georgetown, Tufts, Boston College, and NYU as match schools

A good reach would be Cornell and an ideal safety would be Colgate.

If your SAT I score increases more than your intended range of 1490-1500, consider some lower Ivies like Brown or UPenn if you're motivated to. Good luck!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page