Bad news about MIT waitlist

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Bad news about MIT waitlist
By Smartperson (Smartperson) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

From what I understand, they have overadmitted, so no one from the waitlist will be taken this year. I'm upset, but I'll live, I guess. If anyone has heard otherwise, e-mail me at varun@mehtasw.com

Thanks, guys.

By Maher (Maher) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 04:23 pm: Edit

Yep..that's what I heard as well. *sigh*

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

MIT
My apologies to everyone about MIT. I was passing along something from other postings on CC and it might have not been accurate. I retract the earlier statement. I have received an email from someone who says he called MIT on May 9 and was told that they did not know yet how many might be taken off the wait list.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Something from anothermom (no relation).

My child attends classes at MIT through the High School Studies Program, and we typically pick up a copy of "The Tech", the student newspaper. The May 9th edition had an article entitled "Class of 2007 Exceeds Size Goal, May Grow." In the body of the article an associate Director of Admission is quoted as saying they "...will not need to use the waitlist much this year." The target size for the class is 1000, and so far 1023 have accepted. I don't mean to disappoint anyone, but I thought the info might be useful.

By Piku714 (Piku714) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

I'm sorry for whomever was on the MIT waiting list, but it doesn't surprise me that so many students have accepted MIT's offer (I was one of them). The weekend that they had for admitted students, Campus Preview Weekend, was AWESOME - I had a great time and I fit right in. A lot of the other people I talked to felt the same way.

There was a waiting list from another college that I didn't get in off of, but I know I'll be happy at MIT - the same way I'm sure people here will be happy at other colleges.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

Bad news for Ivy League waitlist also...

http://129.170.144.16/article.php?aid=200305210102

"Harvard, which boasts the highest yield in the country, hovering around 80 percent, rarely needs to dip substantively into its waitlist. This year the waitlist tallied "several hundred" students, according to Director of Admissions Marlyn McGrath Lewis, with approximately 80 percent of those choosing to remain on the waitlist. "Very, very few" will be accepted from the waitlist, Lewis said.

University of Pennsylvania chose to waitlist 700 to 800 students this year, said Stetson. 350 to 400 remained on the active waitlist, Stetson said, noting that "it appears we are not going to use it this year," after having taken 15 to 20 from the waitlist last year.

Cornell, the largest school in the Ivy League, also waitlisted the greatest number of applicants, adding 2,349 to the list. Of that number 1,545 chose to remain on the active list, and none will be taken, said Associate Provost of Admissions Doris Davis.

Princeton, Yale, Brown and Columbia have not yet released their waitlist numbers, though Princeton and Yale reported high yields which usually results in limited waitlist usage, while Columbia and Brown reported lower yields, which would usually contribute to more substantial waitlist usage."

It gets more and more competitive each year, too many people applying to 10+ schools, they should just apply to 5-9. They need a focus, applying to so many increases the number of applications greatly.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Thursday, May 22, 2003 - 09:42 am: Edit

Chosen,
Thanks for the useful information. It also bodes ill for the kids (such as mine) waiting for sub-Ivy wait list positions to open up.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page