im not a us citizen

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: im not a us citizen
By Chemos (Chemos) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 05:01 pm: Edit

Im not a us citizen, thus I'm international. I live in teh US, but I dont have green card or anything, thus thet count me international. Is this going to help my chance or not?

thanks

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Usually, your competition with other internationals is very tough. You have ppl from all over the world applying to elite colleges. And you bet that those people who are trying to get out of their countries are best of the best. Can you try to get a green card, perhaps?

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Of course that's going to hurt. If you are not ABSOLUTELY outstanding, you have no chance at elite institutions.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Unfortunately, it is going to hurt your big time. However, green card holders are considered domestic students.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

That's why I am saying go get a Green Card. That's what I have -- it gives me the status of permanent resident.

By Chemos (Chemos) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

well, im in the process of getting it. its taking quite a while after 911.. Is that still considered international applicant? plz help me

By Chemos (Chemos) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:01 pm: Edit

well, im in the process of getting it. its taking quite a while after 911.. Is that still considered international applicant? plz help me

By Josz (Josz) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

the best thing and to make sure is to send e-mails to the schools you are considering in applying about your situation. They will help you with your concern.

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 05:01 am: Edit

Hello Chemos,
The one area where international and domestic students differ is financial aid. So if you do apply for financial aid being a non-green card holder that you are, your chances may be very low indeed. You are INTERNATIONAL before you get your I-551.

However, there IS a way out. You could apply as an International student who "doesn't need aid" and if you get your green card before enrollment, you can apply for financial aid then at most schools.

Hope this helps!

By Bigbigboy (Bigbigboy) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

On the contrary, i think being an intl student is a big advantage. If u are a pernament US citizen, your application will be evaluated with those of US students with the same standard, which is very competitive, especially if you want to apply for financial aid. Most schools use the lower standard for international students. My friend got only 1200 on the SAT and 623 on the Toefl but won a full ride scholarship to one of the finest school in the US. Hope this help u.

By Chemos (Chemos) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:20 pm: Edit

i thought being internationl would help too. I mean, US is very competitive, but if you apply internationally, it's a whole new standard. Not taht I lack nething, I have my 1500 sat and 780 800 790 sat2s and fine awards with research opps, its just.. i thought being international wouldnt be THAT bad.

By Dani2914 (Dani2914) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:40 pm: Edit

I'm an Intl. student too - Brazil, live here too - and I feel I had an advantage. My grades are very good in an extremely rigorous program (full IB diploma, some AP too), strong SATs/ACT/SAT IIs, ECs, recommendations, etc but my equally gifted and qualified American friends both in the US and at international & American schools outside of the United States didn't get into as many prestigious schools as I did. It's to your advantage, I promise you! We're the 'diversity' schools seek!

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

Wow...Many of you have absolutely no idea what it is like to apply as an international student.

Only four universities in the US that offer need-blind financial aid policy to international are MIT, Harvard, Yale and Princeton. (at least they claim that they do)

MIT admits that it is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder to get in as an international because most of them are already way above the standards of Americans and they only have about 100 spots. MIT's international acceptance rate is less than 5%. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton CLAIM that they don't discriminate against international students, but from the fact that the foreign student population at those schools is not any higher than MIT's, I think it is fair to presume that they do hesitate in admitting foreigners.

One top of that, if your native language is not English, how are you going to prepare for SAT verbal which obviously is designed for those who have been speaking English literally for their whole life??

By Tweety620 (Tweety620) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

I thought living in the US makes u an US applicant, not international, Am I totally wrong? Help! this applies to me!

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

If you live in the US and apply from an American school, you'll be considered international on paper but will loose the little consideration (and I mean little) that foreign students get because the facilities available in schools abroad don't equate with those in the US.

And Bigboy,
You are given a little consideration only as far as your verbal is concerned. And maybe where you applied Brazilians are in an under-represented minority. Your nationality matters too you know. I dont think as many Brazilians get into US colleges as Americans do, so that affects their admission decisions.

Dream5,
The SAT verbal is a headache for most of us Intls, but many people still get amazing scores. None of my friends has less than 1450 here from New Delhi (That means 780+ in math ofcourse), others have way above 1550. But SAT is not the sole criterion and a 1570 didnt get admission anywhere 'coz of his school grades.

By Mrme (Mrme) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 07:56 am: Edit

800 in verbal, 800 in sat2 writing.. indian

waitlisted by yale, princeton, dart, amherst, swat...

rejected by depauw, macalester, vassar, hamilton, bates..

needed full aid..

math scores weren't bad either..730 in sat 1, 780 sat2 math1, 700 sat2 math 2.... class rank 4/172

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 09:49 am: Edit

Mr. You, where all did you get accepted?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page