Anyone here get accepted or rejected from waitlist?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Anyone here get accepted or rejected from waitlist?
By Bayhgt (Bayhgt) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 02:37 pm: Edit

Anyone here get accepted or rejected from any waitlist? When do they let us know if we are "out" or "in"?

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:18 am: Edit

I was wondering the same!!
Anyone know about waitlist admission procedures.

By Archimedian077 (Archimedian077) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:15 am: Edit

Depends on luck. Depends on those who got accepted will deny their attending because they don't wanted to go to that school anymore. Plus, if you applied early(for the one you're on waitlist), and you should put on the waitlist early and that's the advantage of early applying. Usually, popular schools are more likely handy. Good luck.

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

my friend got deferred harvard ea and then accepted regular..

By Demiurge (Demiurge) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

You're supposed to be called beginning early May through mid-may. I got into Emory and NYU but I declined; so more slots for anyone else I guess.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 04:03 am: Edit

Any information about Duke?

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 12:33 pm: Edit

I have now heard that BU and CMU have called people off their lists, on the 6th and 7th of May. Please keep us posted about other schools.

Specifically, UVA and Barnard. And Duke if you hear anything.

By Calguy (Calguy) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

anyone hear about waitlist calls from Yale, Princeton, Stanford or Penn?

By Rob (Rob) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

my yale rep said to expect a call toward end of may/beginning of june. rumor is that they wont take more than 20-25, and obviously some of those slots will be for certain "needs," like a football kicker or a certain musician.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

Evidently MIT is overfilled.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 10:38 am: Edit

MIT
My apologies to everyone about MIT. I was passing along something from other postings on CC and it might have not been accurate. I retract the earlier statement. I have received an email from someone who says he called MIT on May 9 and was told that they did not know yet how many might be taken off the wait list.

By Sixtoes (Sixtoes) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

someone on the pr boards was taken off the duke waitlist

By Anothermom (Anothermom) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

My child attends classes at MIT through the High School Studies Program, and we typically pick up a copy of "The Tech", the student newspaper. The May 9th edition had an article entitled "Class of 2007 Exceeds Size Goal, May Grow." In the body of the article an associate Director of Admission is quoted as saying they "...will not need to use the waitlist much this year." The target size for the class is 1000, and so far 1023 have accepted. I don't mean to disappoint anyone, but I thought the info might be useful.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

LOL, I noticed NYU being declined over and over again, a bunch of people got off the waitlisted and still declined! lol, I declined NYU too, that shows how overrated that school is.

No campus = no real college experience..poor school man

By Nymom (Nymom) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:16 am: Edit

Re NYU: the word I'm hearing is that although the admissions rate was low (and they received a huge number of applications), their yield is expected to be terrible, indicating they will take many off the waitlist. They alienated a lot of very fine students for attempting to push them into GSP, which is proving to be so unpopular that they are reported to be abandoning that program either next year or the year after! Word around here is that the GCs hate NYU and refuse to send them the top students. Although NYU will always be popular because of its location, its adcom needs a reality check.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:49 am: Edit

Nymom, off topic I know, but why is GSP proving so unpopular? It SOUNDS like a good idea!

By Nymom (Nymom) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:05 am: Edit

GSP is a good idea in theory, but the GCs were annoyed that some fine candidates were rejected and shunted into GSP. I think there are some limitations on what NYU school you can transfer to after GSP, and the candidates pushed into GSP were of such high caliber that they generally had more attractive options at other colleges. Fwiw, many students from our school who were accepted to NYU's regular schools were also accepted to ivies. Not one of them is going to NYU. NYU needs to be more realistic about the type of student who really wants to attend NYU, and needs to cultivate a better relationship with the high schools to attract the students it thinks it should get.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:13 am: Edit

What's GSP and GC?

By Nymom (Nymom) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:38 am: Edit

GC = guidance counselor(s)
GSP = NYU's General Studies Program (a 2 year program with its own curriculum; can't take courses in other NYU schools)

By Ephmania (Ephmania) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 11:48 am: Edit

Any news on the Williams waitlist?

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Bit of an alteration needs to be made in Nymom's last post.
In sophomore year of the GSP you are able to take some courses in other NYU schools, but not in freshman year.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page