Dave Berry, Thedad anybody else who are experts at this busi

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Dave Berry, Thedad anybody else who are experts at this busi
By Aravis (Aravis) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

OK, I know I've posted this before and I've got some very helpful replies but there are still some gaps so I thought I'd ask again.
I'm a freshman at a public high school in North Carolina. I'm trying to figure out what to do this summer but I really don't have too many ideas.
The thing is I'm Asian, 15 and I can't drive yet. That means my guardian will have to drive me places and she's a very busy person and I'll have to figure out possible time plan.(nowhere too far) Almost everything else I've looked at is either too expensive, for URM's or for juniors and seniors.
Part of my summer will be spent at S. Korea where my parents live. I'll also probably go with my friend to her church camp. I'll be volunteering at several places probably.(library, nursing home) And I'll be tutoring 2nd generation kids how to speak Korean fluently. (I'm bilingual, extremely bc I have lived in both the USA and S.Korea)
I'm not really into math or science, more humanities, I love reading.
I'm probably also going to take an online lanugage course for my own self-study. My high school won't accept online credits.
Any ideas what else I could do?
Thanks!!

By Fender1 (Fender1) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:29 am: Edit

Sounds good. If you want to "enhance your college resume" but can't fit into ECs, try studying for APs on your own that you can take next year.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:42 am: Edit

Aravis, you got a ton of suggestions on the other thread and you still seem to be "just fishing". You need to narrow this down. Go to all the sites already posted and figure out what you do/don't like and what will/won't work and why. If you can't be more specific about what you're looking for, I don't see how random suggestions will help you.

By Aravis (Aravis) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

I'm sorry if you're offended at my "fishing for ideas" but this is the first time I've exactly had to plan out my summer.(Before my parents always did it for me due to Asian expectations and all)And I just want to get as many options possible and I don't really know what American teenagers do in the summer so........

By Aravis (Aravis) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:27 pm: Edit

So please bear with me.... And I just want to see what options I have.

By Aravis (Aravis) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:27 pm: Edit

So please bear with me.... I just want to see what options I have.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Have you talked to your classmates about their plans for the summer? They will have more of an idea of what the options are in your community.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:24 pm: Edit

What are you interested in? What do you enjoy doing for fun? This is where you should start.

Depending on your interests, you could be doing in depth reading or research (independent or with a mentor that you line up by getting suggestions from teachers, friend's parents, local universities and professional organizations, etc.) doing volunteer work, writing, learning an instrument, hanging out with friends, etc.

"What can I do to look good to colleges?" shouldn't be your focus. Instead, your focus can be "What can I do to make the best use of this time to further my interests?"

Incidentally, students who creatively do things to meet their individual passions are exactly the type of students elite colleges look to attract.
Often the most impressive things are things that students created for themselves.

Since you already are going to Korea and will be taking an on-line course, church camp and doing volunteer work, you already have a lot on your plate. My thoughts are that perhaps the best thing you can do for yourself is to give yourself some unstructured time. Everyone needs time to relax, to daydream and to follow their bliss of the moment.

By Aravis (Aravis) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

Texas137: Yeah, I've talked to some of my friends about what they're doing. Volunteering(hospital, nursing homes mostly), trips with their family, babysitting etc. Not much really....
Northstarmom: It's not that I'm trying to improve my college resume, normally after going to private "prep academies" in Korea during the summer,(pratically everyone would go to them) I would just generally read and waste my summer! I'm trying to get my summer mapped out this time.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Aravis, you asked for me by name and you may not be happy...beware what you ask for.

I agree with the other posts that say you have enough suggestions. There is a danger I've seen in some families--and Asian families aren't the only ones--where the parents control so much of the kid's life that the kid doesn't have much experience investigating, planning, and making decisions for him or herself.

"Tightly mapped" is certainly one way to do things but I sense that going that route would merely reinforce your current strengths/weaknesses. Two things I don't see reflected in any of your posts that I've read: imagination and tolerance of risk.
I beg your pardon if I've impaled myself on an incorrect assessment. If not incorrect, however, I would say take a class in hip-hop or performance art.

In my own slightly twisted way, to a large degree I'm in sympathy with Northstarmom's suggestion...only if you read, read some kinds of stuff that you never would have before.

By Bebeblue (Bebeblue) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

I can tell you that those "prep academies" in Korea are pretty damn near worthless. Buy a good book or two and study on your own. I have many friends who went there for two or three consecutive summers but I ended up getting better scores anyway. Find a thing or two that you really like and pour passion into them. That's what colleges would rather like to see than any obvious attempt to fatten up the resume.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Aravis,
Your summer already has lots of structure. You need more free time. Free time -- to delve at a moment's notice into something that catches your fancy. Free time to daydream.

It really is OK to be bored sometimes, to wake up and not have the day planned, to even spend several hours straight watching some idiocy on TV.

You also need time to process your other experiences -- your school year, which I'd bet is a frenzy of intense activity, your trip to Korea, your volunteer work, yourself as a 15-year-old Asian girl.

Everyone needs some space in their life to refresh themselves. This kind of unstructured time in the midst of intensity and regimen is what inspires creative leaps and wisdom.

By Leia (Leia) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

You should read C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy.

Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength.

Incredible, moving, fantastic, inspiring. I wish i could conjure more elaborate adjectives to give you a thorough portrait of its greatness, but, deprived of all abilities to construct a sentence at the mercy of the AP Lit exam,...er..well, i digress. Just read it.

Have fun this summer!!! You're a freshman for goodness sakes!

Get a telescope! It's good for the soul!

By Beenthereil (Beenthereil) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

I agree with Northstarmom...

Have some FUN this summer.

You're a kid!!!

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I know this is off topic but
Has anyone heard of the 12-year-old from Virginia who is going to grad school already?

O, and I stil don't know what I'll do for the summer, except doing in-depth research for a history competition that I'm obsessed about. It's called National History Day. Neglect the "day"...it's not a holiday thing or whatever. That's just the name of the competition. It's like Intel Science Talent Search but focuses on the humanities. It's really fun and I'M OBSESSED WITH IT. That'll occupy 5 days of my summer. If you win the school, regionals, city, and state, you'll go to DC for the national competition. Nationals will occupy 5 days of my summer at least. lol...or maybe I can stay there and explore DC and meet with state congressmen/representatives. That would be so much fun!

I was thinking of applying to the Junior Summer Statesmen program, but I decided I'll just do that for next summer maybe.

Have you ever been to Phillips Academy Andover- Bush's alma mater? It's an ultra prestigious boarding school in MA...and it has a summer camp!

Please post.

By Aravis (Aravis) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

Well, church camp is off the list for now.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page