Chances at top schools for UC transfer...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Chances at top schools for UC transfer...
By Susy123 (Susy123) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

I am a student at UC Riverside.
My GPA is 4.0.
I volunteer at the hospital and work in research labs.
I already have one paper published.
I work in the school's library.
Student body's president
a lot of volunteer work
What are my chances at UCLA ,Stanford, and UCSD?

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

Intra-UC transfer is very difficult, unless you have a good reason to it.
By good reasons I mean something more than "reputation at UCR sucks and I wanna get the hella outta there."
You may want to contact Stanford or other schools directly.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

It's actually not that difficult. I have a friend that transfered from UCI to UCLA (MCD Bio) and another that got into UCSD as a transfer from UCI (EE).

The UCLA website actually says that they give first priority to community colege AND UC transfers. I'd say you have a good chance at getting into UCLA and UCSD but I don't know about Stanford.

By Kow (Kow) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Very possible. You have a good chance at UCLA and UCSD. Although they give preferance to transfers from CC, coming from another UC campus won't hurt too much.

As for Stanford, you will need a high SAT score in addition to good high school and college grades. EC's and volunteer work alone won't cut it.

I *think* the acceptance rate for transfers at Stanford is at or below 10%

By Aliron (Aliron) on Wednesday, July 02, 2003 - 03:03 am: Edit

It depends on your major also. Scarcity plays a role, if the major you want to declare in that university is full, you won't get in. I just got into UCLA myself from UCR and I don't have a 4.0. I'm confused...you're student body pres but you're not a jr yet? Or do you mean for grad school?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page