Cornell or Berkeley: Please Please Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Cornell or Berkeley: Please Please Help
By Nsk (Nsk) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:03 pm: Edit

I am a community college transfer applicant. My major is Civil Engineering, and I have been accepted to both Cornell and Berkeley (out-of-state). I have been awarded full tuition scholarship at Cornell (which is a about 30K), and they have told me that I can cover the remaining 11K with a combination of Federal Sub(5500), Perkins(2470), and Work Study(2190). One the other hand, Berkeley has awarded me 12K in grants, and they told me that I can cover the remaining 20K with a combination of Work Study(3000), Fed Sub(2625), Parents Plus(12810), and Perkins(2100).

Can anyone please tell me which one should I choose?

I appreciate your comments in advance.

By Mzinn (Mzinn) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Would you pay resident tuition at Berkeley for your second year?

If those figures are for the next 2 years then I'd take Cornell.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Yeah, Cornell is a better deal both academically and financially.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

Cornell, their financial aid will be more consistent and also better.

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

Cornell...
Although I like Berkeley just as much if not more

By Jumbo (Jumbo) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

cornell.

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Tell me how cornell is BETTER academically? Thats absurd. Just because UCB, isn't a private school, doesn't mean its better academically. Average GPA at Berk this year was a 4.3 GPA...Berekely in my book, regardless of what US NEWS says, is easily a top 5 school in the nation.

By Cru (Cru) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I do believe that Berkeley is more prestigous and more well known than Cornell internationally. But I don't think it's easily top five in the nation.
Harvard,yale,princeton,MIT,Caltech,Stanford

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Depends on what your major is though, Berkeley is more well rounded than Cal Tech, thats why I had it beating cal tech out. Furthermore, i've noticed a downward trend in Cal tech, whereas UCB is only getting better and more competitive.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:50 am: Edit

Berkeley top 5?! LOL, are you nuts? First of all, if you are a cali resident it's so easy to get in. Berkeley is the top public school but by no means can it compete with the ivies.

But I do admit, they have a great EECS program.

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

What is EECS?

But I do think that Berekely is top 5...
Berkeley is Very well known...
actually, it's more famous that stanford, and princeton in Korea.
It's a great school...

By Kk02 (Kk02) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:32 am: Edit

Berkeley can compete with all the ivies in no other major but engineering. EECS is Electrical engineering & Com. Sci (their most competitive major).

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:02 am: Edit

In Gourman report which rates individual departments, Berkeley is rated top 10 in 35 out of 36 departments.
Berkeley "can't compete" only in the eyes of the US News editors.
In engineering however, most Ivies can't compete with Berkeley with the exception of Cornell.

By Cru (Cru) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

But I still think that the prestige of Berkeley crushes most ivies with the exception of HYP

By Nsk (Nsk) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

Thank you so much for your great comments. I appreciate if you provide reasons for your selection.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

If Cornell is offering you full tuition scholarship, you may want to go there.

By Bioyuki (Bioyuki) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

When it comes to civil engineering Berkeley is a much better school, however Cornell is giving you more money. Don't forget to take into consideration that after being in California for two years I think you establish residency and will only have to pay 20k a year or so.

By Archimedian077 (Archimedian077) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:13 am: Edit

Both schools are great. Many people graduated there were somewhat did great contribution as far as I know. Thus if you're good(I assume you are), doesn't really matter what school you'll go to. In fact, I have chums here that make me think that they don't deserve to be here but they actually got in.(sometimes as you may thing destiny is an issue....we've appointed whateve we'll have at the first day we born..what a life!)Well...Anyhow, this reminds me that good schools would come up great students and doesn't mean bad schools couldn't. Just be a gifted one. Berkeley and Cornell are both good, if you can't decided, toss a coin!....good job and good luck in the future~!

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:36 am: Edit

The chosen - Have you heard of the HAAS School of Business? Yeah, it's pretty ••••••• amazing, and it beats out just about all the ivies, except for Wharton and a few others. Berkeley def. competes and crushes most ivies, is it really that easy to get in as a California Resident? I think not, although, my high school right outside of Berkeley, sent 18 kids. It's easier in-state opposed to out of state, but in no means is it easy to get into. You must be from the east coast and have an ivy league bias. Believe it or not, Berkeley has some of the most amazing professors, a top notch - science, history, business, and engineering program and all others to that matter!! (since my dad graduated from Cal, i have a considerable bias..hehe) GO BEARS!

By Cru (Cru) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 05:58 am: Edit

hey...
Cornell is also bears

By Cru (Cru) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:03 am: Edit

hey...
Cornell is also bears

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

really? in that case -- GO "GOLDEN" BEARS!

By Neyha (Neyha) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Go for Cornell, but my US News 2002 says that for Civil Engineering Berkeley is #1 and in general for Engineering, the rankings are MIT, Stanford, Berkeley with Cornell coming in at 7.

But it does not matter. The average starting salary would not differ over 5k to 7k a year and you will need that money to pay off Cal.

Rankings really dont matter as much..

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Neyha is right. As long as you're in the top 10, you are good to go. All that really matters is money.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 04:58 am: Edit

I never doubted the excellence of Berkeley and its Engineering and Business programs.

If you want the best Civil Engineering, go for Berkeley. Cornell would offer you an ivy education and also the financial aid is better.

Since you are a civil engineer it's a hard pick, compare the campuses and location, that should solve your problem.

By Nsk (Nsk) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot for your comments

By Nsk (Nsk) on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Hey guys! I have until June 20th to make the final decision. I have to eliminate one of them and adjust my summer schedule accordingly.

I appreciate your great suggestions/comments in advance,

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page