Ivy Legacies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Ivy Legacies
By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:29 pm: Edit

I don't know if this information is available anywhere, but does anyone know what percentage of Early Decision/Action acceptees are legacies? I was just wondering, because since legacies are favored in the Ivies under Early Decision, as far as I know, it seems to me that the advantage for non-legacy applicants early decision is not as great as it may seem....

By Divingin (Divingin) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:02 am: Edit

hmm, well this isn't exactly what you're lookin for probably but the acceptance rate of legacies in general at harvard is at 40 percent. pretty high for a school whose overall is 11 percent.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:36 am: Edit

Check individual web sites...some have the stats some don't.

Rob.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:48 am: Edit

Just to quibble, after the Harvard info session I asked the admissions officer if the legacy rate was between 20 and 30 percent and she said, "Yes." My sense is that the legacy numbers have been dropping just like the other numbers the past few years...though your odds are still 2-3 times better if you're a legacy.

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

I just recently found out that in fact my grandfather attended Yale...but not as an undergradutate, and he never got a degree. He attended during the Korean War to learn Chinese...does any of that make me a legacy, or is it of no consequence?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

I would think no consequence.

By Lki (Lki) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Two questions (pertaining to the ivies)
first of all, does the Grad school your parents attended confer legacy (my parents both studied psychology as grad students @ Penn)
second of all, can you get legacy status from other relatives (my uncle went to Princeton)

By Aparent (Aparent) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

Our GC is now saying that the Ivies only offer a legacy advantage during ED. I don't actually think that's correct, except for Penn, which explicitly says so.

At Brown legacies are accepted at twice the rate of non-legacies.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

How much does being a legacy actually help? My dad went to Yale as an undergrad. I will probably have a 3.9-4.0 weighted GPA at the end of the year and 6 APs by the end of senior year. If I get 1400-1500 on my SATs and have several ECs (member of several clubs, the student government, co-owner of a computer/internet business, piano for 9 years) do I have any chance of getting in? Also, would it be an advantage for me to apply ED? I ask because my junior grades are a lot better than my freshman and sophmore grades, and I don't know whether it would be better for them to see my first semester senior grades to help offset my freshman and sophmore grades.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Legacies get admitted at somewhere between two and three times the rate of non-legacies but it's still a lottery ticket...a significantly *better* lottery ticket but that's all.

Yale is going to EA and I don't think you can lose: if you don't get in EA, you'll be considered again in the regular pool when your first semester senior grades are available.

By Andymcgav (Andymcgav) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Nobody seems to know what a legacy actually is. I have asked the same question as Lki and never recieved a response.

By Mr0range (Mr0range) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

I would also like to know if an uncle who went to Yale for graduate school would count as a legacy for undergraduate admission?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page