Visiting colleges

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Visiting colleges
By Francesca (Francesca) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:23 am: Edit

Hi guys!
Pretty soon I'm going to go round visiting colleges (i'm a junior.) I was wondering what kind of questions I should ask, I really have no idea and worried that I'll come off looking totally uninterested (which is untrue.)Any ideas?
Fran xxx

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:02 am: Edit

I really don't think you can have a stock selection of questions to ask. If you really want to seem interested you need to take the time to review the literature you have, or the schools website and see if you actually have any questions that haven't been answered. You don't get any points for asking questions that you can easily answer from these sources. Generally, however, questions relating to your proposed major are appropriate, even if the individual you're asking has no knowledge of this area, since that gives you the opportunity to find out whom you should be speaking to. Viewbooks rarely carry this specific information. On the whole, it's probably better not to ask "quality of life" questions of admissions staff. You will probably get a more accurate picture from students, and you run the danger of appearing to care more about the peripheral areas of college (social scene, etc) then the academic experience. I'm not saying that those questions shouldn't be asked, as they can impact your college career, but think about the best person to answer them. If all else fails, you could ask your interviewer what THEY like about the school. If they can't answer that, then you're probably in the wrong place anyway.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page