Highschool and its average sat score

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Highschool and its average sat score
By Confetti (Confetti) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I was talking with my guidance counselor the other day, and he mentioned that the colleges we apply to receive the school's average SAT scores (which is about 1000 for my class of 710 students). How does this inform the admissions officers?

By Yourlocalmayor (Yourlocalmayor) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

it lets the admissions officers know how to compare you to your class, not just everyone who's applying. Great use of relativism.

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Yup. I opened an official transcript from my school once and it has everything about the school inside (average SAT score is 1250, 98% of students going on to college, a listing of every club in the school, a breakdown of how many people went to each college, etc.) and obviously my transcript. It helps the college get a better idea of your school.

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Seriously?!

I know this sounds incredible asinine, but I go to a public high school with an average SAT score of 940. I only got a 1310 on the SAT's but I'm going to retake them, but I doubt I'll do much better. We only send about 60% of our kids to college. I'm valedictorian of my graduating class and really involved. Does this mean I shouldn't rule out Penn and Cornell because of my less than stellar SAT scores? I mean, my school is awful...lol

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

If you have excellent ECs and/or are a URM, then you still have a good chance at some of the lower Ivies.

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Nocalguy? You think? I have some great recs and will have great essays. Does PA residence hold ANY weight at Penn?

What's a URM? A minority? because I'm definitely white (:/)

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

That rules out the URM part. lol What extracirricular activities do you have?

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

-editor school paper
-captain debate team (few regional championships)
-founder of habitats for humanity charter
-intern at local radio station (on-air personality)
-peer tutor in french, calc, alg, and geometry
-member of literary magazine
-special Olympics ski coach
-Lion's Club (LEO) Public Relations officer

and some other stuff, but that's the stuff I really care about.

I wish I could say that was a lot, but compared to most people on these boards...lol I'm weak..

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Ziplock: First -- your scores are excellent scores. Remember that the av SAT score is only abot 1020. Don't judge your scores by the averages of people posting on boards like this or by the av scores of people applying to Ivies.

Adcoms also will take into account the fact that you scored extremely well even though you go to a mediocre school. They know that if you had gone to an excellent public or privare school with great teachers, and lots of very bright college-bound kids, and more challenging classes, you probably would have scored 150 or more points higher. For you to have done so well in a mediocre environment indicates that you probably pursued more learning opportunities completely on your own than do students who attend the best public and private schools.

Your school will not count against you.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page