Is Vietnamese an under represented minority??

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Is Vietnamese an under represented minority??
By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:26 pm: Edit

jw...

By Spunkymunky (Spunkymunky) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

I'm not sure exactly. Vietnamese is a sub-group of the Asian minority group, which includes Chinese, Korean, Indians, etc. Asians, at almost every elite college, are an over-represented minority. Then again, I'm not sure if colleges just lump Vietnamese applicants with other Asian applicants as an ORM or consider each Asian minority group separately as an URM.

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

no

By Troy (Troy) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

the SE Asians get lumped together for the most part...which can be quite unfortunate for the Burmese, Laotians, Cambodians, and (to some extent) Thais who apply to college.

By Tuannguyen (Tuannguyen) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

I don't think the Vietnamese themselves are underrepresented at all. There's always a fair number of Viets at the top schools (when compared to the percentage of the american population they represent as a whole).

From what i hear, us Viets get clumped together with the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Indians, who are way overrepresented. Us Viets barely have been here (maximum 30 years, most 20-25 years, those who are born here are usually first generation with a poor income due to the fact that they came here as refugees not as businessmen or students; you know that stereotype where asians parents can only help their kids in math and the sciences? In my case, they can't help me in anything), considering most of our parents are peasants rather then of the elite class like the Chinese (the Chinese in America had ancestors who were in the top educated .01-0.2% when still in China). Considering all that, i don't think being Vietnamese in particular would hurt, although it won't help since we're not underrepresented even with our socioeconomic situation. Like in Houston, Viets are doing really bad, but the gov't just keep on thinking "oh they're asian, they'll do fine" and no help gets to them. That's tragic, but w/e.

From what i hear, most admission offices just clump you into asian, which does hurt because of some of the stereotypes i guess; but with furhtur analysis, the colleges would factor in stuff like socio-economic situation.

By Dream5 (Dream5) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

No

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

Unfortunately, no, they suffer along with Laotians, Cambodians, etc.

This is where AA is flawed. Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans have it best.

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 12:03 pm: Edit

Bullsh*t ~The Chosen~.

"This is where AA is flawed. Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans have it best."

Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans have it best, and this is why AA is flawed? What a stupid statement.

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

I don't think that is necessarily true. At Cornell, depending on your situation, such as if you or your family recently came to the US or if you are in certain poor areas in the country, you might be included individually. There were a couple vietnamese students and a handful of chinese and philipino students, as well as about 3 white students who were in the freshman minority summer program when I was there. Also, a couple of my friends (one from taiwan and one from indonesia) were considered to be "minority students" even though one became a u.s. citizen and the other was a permanent resident. I know that cornell offers at least 50 international students financial aid (not always full scholarship but better than nothing) Two people that i knew got this-one from Pakistan and one from Jordan. From what I saw at school asians from countries other than china, japan, and korea faired MUCH better in terms of admission and especially financial aid.

By ~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 04:00 am: Edit

Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans score higher on tests and have an educational advantage in America. AA doesn't benefit them.

Viets, Cambodians, Laos, etc. they don't have the same advantages as the other "big three". THey don't score as high as them, etc. But they are in the pool of compeitition as those three races.

Understand? That is why AA is flawed. Koreans, Chinese, and Japanese dominate admissions at the top universities in the Asian pool.

That is what I meant, so you still think it's a stupid statement? I just think you misunderstood what I meant.

By Expataznamerica (Expataznamerica) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:35 am: Edit

It's a flawed argument, you could then say that Caucasians from the Northeast and West Coast dominate admissions to Ivy League Universities, while Caucasions from the South don't have the same educational advantage, therefore they don't score high as them, yet they are in the same pool of competition as those three regions. And how about the many Arabic people who are classified as Caucasians? Or the many from Eastern Europe? Do they have any educational advantages even though they are grouped into the Caucasian Group???

These people have it just as hard as any group, including Asians of ALL ethnicity. You think the Chinese person whose parents are first immigrants, who own a deli around the corner, is able to have educational advantages. My problem with your statement is that you generalize too much. Every Asian group suffers under AA, so now you have to set up an order of suffering:

Viets, Cambodians, Laos suffer the most.
Then the other Asian groups suffer less?

That's the stupid part, and I wouldn't care about test scores because educational advantages mean sh*t, it's the individual student that has to take advantage of them. If an Ivy league school sees that the student is doing it on their own initiative, even in a "educationally-disadvantaged" area, then that school will factor it in to admissions. Favorably too, might I add.

By Ibd (Ibd) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

~the_Chosen~ (~the_Chosen~),
"Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans score higher on tests and have an educational advantage in America. AA doesn't benefit them."
I believe you are overgeneralizing. My cousin, chinese, came to the U.S. when he was 15. He scored low on the SATs relatively, a 1200. But he got into yale not because he had an educational advantage (he lived in the U.S. by himself and was very very very poor and went to a non-descript high school), but because he was unique. Colleges DO look at individual circumstances and don't automatically lump ethnic groups into neat little categories. My cousin stood out because he overcame hardship, was an amazing pianist (Julliard Precollege), and showed a lot of persistence and idealism.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page