Opinions on ED?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: Opinions on ED?
By Cvillelion (Cvillelion) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Has anyone out there gone the early-decision route? If so what were your experiences and what would be your advice? Thanks in advance. I'm trying to help my son on this topic.

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

Well, I think it's easier to get in early decision to a college. But don't do early decision unless you are absolutely sure you want to go to the college, and also are sure you can pay for it, if they decide not to give you any money. I also think that with some colleges, early decision admits get preferential treatment with dorms and classes and stuff, but I may be wrong about that.

By Bjturlington (Bjturlington) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

That being said...

I would EA at schools that have non-binding policies (i.e. UChicago, Georgetown, DePauw University, Beloit College, etc...) if you're interested...as well as EDI if that school is your first-choice. That being said, if there is a true second choice to the first school (EDI) and you don't get in...if it has EDII (like Wesleyan, Hamilton, Trinity C (CT), Colgate U, etc...) then apply there too. Try to use the Common app..available on-line or from high school counselors to apply as it saves you much work. Also, send out EA schools and EDI at the same time (using EARLIST deadline for guidence)...and then, after you hear from EDI (if you get wait-listed or rejected), send in EDII applications.

Some schools favor ED candidates...so find out from the admissions offices.

At schools which guarentee to meet financial need ED is not much of a problem...but for those schools that don't, apply regular decision so you can compare aid.

Also look at DePauw U (have merit calculator on it's site, which does not include possible federal programs...it's in addition to it) at www.depauw.edu. Lokk at: College of Wooster (www.wooster.edu) and Bard College (if student is in top 5-10% of high school class, you only pay what you would for your in-state school; plus, still eligible for federal aid programs)...www.bard.edu.

Good Luck.
Rob.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

ED is great for big ivies and elites. they generally are well endowed and an ED acceptance will provide adequate aid. Thus, I would have applied EA or ED could I do this whole process over

By Divingin (Divingin) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:53 am: Edit

ED- good if you're ABSOLUTELY 100 percent sure that it's the place you want to be. sucks if you find out a couple of months later that you're interested somewhere else. great if you're a legacy, major plus points there :) in other words, great if your parents went to an ivy and want you to be there OR if you are soooo in love with a place. otherwise, NO WAY

By Miller (Miller) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:50 am: Edit

How does EA stack up to ED in terms of legacies. I was just wondering, seeing as places such as yale and stanford recently changed their policies to EA, does this mean that legacies who apply there now EA get no edge over those legacies who apply RA, or not?

By Cscourneen (Cscourneen) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:30 am: Edit

I will tell you what the Assistant Dean of Admissions at Brown told me about ED. He spent the year trying to recruit me, and when I told him that I was between his school and Carleton he said the following about ED:

“I’m going to tell you the truth. Most colleges will tell you that they give some sort of preference to ED candidates. They will also show that a large, if not the largest percent of students admitted, were accepted ED. But think about it, those that apply ED, are only the best candidates that really want to go there, so sure, a bunch of them are going to be accepted. However, from my many years of experience, I can tell you that colleges really don’t give any ‘extra’ credit to students that apply ED. It only helps the college, and can hurt the students if they are not 100% sure about their school. I don’t really recommend applying ED. I do, however, recommend applying EA.”

He told me not to apply ED to Brown and I would still have the same chance of getting in because they stopped doing EA (Early Action). EA isn’t binding while ED is.

ED is really made to help the schools. The only real advantage a student gets by applying ED is that they will know if they are in or out sooner. However, if you are in, you must go unless you can’t agree on the financial package.

Now, don’t think that you can wait to get into your other colleges and if you make your dream college, just say that you don’t agree with your financial package at the ED school. Why? Because most schools don’t give you a very long time to come to an agreement…and that agreement is A MONTH or even more before any of the Ivy’s or other top schools send out acceptance/rejection letters. So, ED can be dangerous. If you have ANY question in your mind…DON’T DO IT!

By Nymom (Nymom) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:19 am: Edit

Your analysis is good in theory, but what you were told by the Brown admissions officer is the official party line on the matter, and not necessarily supported by the facts. The fact is that colleges are filling more and more of their class ED (except the "upper" ivies (HYP), which have no concern about their yield and generally use EA, which is more selective than ED). Note the rise in the availability ED II among non-ivies, which allows students who were rejected at their top choice ED school to have another bite of the apple. I believe that the low RD admission rates this year are tied to the fact that larger percentages of the class are being filled ED (I & II). Note also the significant number of students who were waitlisted this year; colleges are increasingly concerned about their yield and are hesitant to offer admission to students who are unlikely to accept their offer. With respect to the "lower" ivies, UPenn pulled a coup this year by announcing (in an interview with USNews) that they were favorably disposed to ED applicants; as a result, ED applications soared at Penn, and Penn filled a huge percentage of its class ED, resulting in fewer RD openings: Penn, which has had a reputation an an ivy safety, improved both its yield and selectivity with that move. Watch for a similar move by Cornell.

By Nymom (Nymom) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 10:15 am: Edit

Just another note to Cscourneen: I believe you were being manipulated by the Brown admissions officer. Do you know if you were their top choice recruit in your sport? My guess is that you were not, and you were advised not to apply ED so that Brown could see who else applied for your position. Brown, like all the ivies, does not offer athletic scholarships, so Brown also wanted to discourage you from jumping at an offer from another school before they had to act on your application.
Athletes are particularly susceptible to manipulation. The son of a family friend was heavily recruited by a lower ivy. His stats were good(high 1200s on the SAT, honor student), but not good enough to get in w/o the sport. He applied ED, and was rejected. He later found out, through a newspaper article, that another local kid, same stats, same position, but more highly ranked in the sport, was accepted ED. He realized that he was the backup candidate, and had no chance of acceptance once the other kid applied. Had he known this in advance, he would have played his ED chip elsewhere.

By Cscourneen (Cscourneen) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

Just to let you know, I wasn’t recruited for a sport. I was recruited for academics. And they paid to bring me out and paid for all my expenses. Now, I didn’t know how bad they wanted me until my counselor told me the recruiter called her to find out what she knew about what Carleton was offering me. He also flew out to visit me twice at my school, and then flew back to the campus the next day (I know he was back the next day b/c I called him at his office to ask further questions). If athletes get manipulated, I can see why…they college is just looking for a good “product.” However, w/ academic students, it’s different. I’m not making them any money by selling tickets to a game…

By Nymom (Nymom) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:01 pm: Edit

It must be great to be recruited like that for academics. Top academic prospects (or top athletic prospects) don't need to apply ED, and should wait it out. But for the vast majority of students, ED considerably improves the odds. Did you end up at Brown? Did they offer to match Carleton's offer? (I wasn't aware that Brown offers merit scholarships.) What exactly did you have that they were looking for? Intel winner? Published author? URM?

By Cscourneen (Cscourneen) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

I ended up at Carleton b/c Brown doesn’t offer academic scholarships. That was the whole irony in their recruitment process. Because Carleton offers merit-based scholarships, they can’t match. I ended up with just about $38,000 in aid from Carleton, and Brown said they could only offer to match the “need” section of my financial package. All of the merit aid money would have to come out of my pocket at Brown…But, I’m happy. Carleton was my first choice (I have visited the campus 3 times, have taken courses, and fallen in love w/ everything about it). They are smaller, all of the classes have profs (no TAs), and the atmosphere is great. Although, Northfield will be a bit of a shock…I’m used to the desert (I live in Tucson, AZ) and used to a big city…but the school is worth the –20 winters and the small town.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page