ETHNICITY

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: May 2003 Archive: ETHNICITY
By Vaj (Vaj) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

My parents are from the war-plagued former Yugoslavia. Would it help to state this under race in my college applications? I know that Yugoslavian is not a race, but I feel that this might be a boost. Would it just be interpreted as white? What about if I refuse to state my race? Would they just assume that I was white? Could an undeclared race negatively affect oneís chances at certain schools?

(Sorry, I know itís a lot of questions but I really need them answered)

By Beam (Beam) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:53 am: Edit

you should just say what your citizenship is- whether you're a serb, or a croat, or a macedonian, or a bosnian, or a slovenian or whatever- depending on which passport you hold

anyhow, under 'race/ethnicity' you would certainly declare 'white'. I don't know where you live right now, but if you're still on the Balcans, and if you declare your citizenship, it can't help too much- it'll only mean to the admission comitee that you're an international student. That means that they look differently on your SAT scores (esp. verbal), you have to take the TOEFL test, they appreciate your (good) english, and you can't apply for need-based financial aid, as well as often having limitations with scholarships.

if you don't state your race, it won't hurt, though I don't see the reason why. stating one's race is almost always optional on application papers. and they can assume your race based on the citizenship you stated...

I'm a Serb, by the way.. what are you ? :)

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:45 pm: Edit

Your race is still "white." You can talk about your Yugoslavian parents -- and the impact of that background on your life -- in your essays and interviews.

By Vaj (Vaj) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

SRBIN NARAVNO!!!
I was born in the U.S and I've lived here my entire life, but I go to SERBIA every summer. I love it. The country and the people are beautiful.

By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

MAN, i wish i was native american. hahaha

By Beam (Beam) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 08:15 am: Edit

PUNO POZDRAVA za ortaka Vaj (srbendoooo...)
od jedne lepe beogradjanke koja ce od avgusta u chicagoooo hollaa

By Vaj (Vaj) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

Chicago...lepo. Ja hocu u Northwestern sledece godine. Sada sam junior u Kaliforniji (SF). SAT mi ide malo teze pa videcemo. Kako si usla u Chicago? Posalji mi email ako hoces na redstar021@hotmail.com (ZVEZDAAAAA!!!!) POZDRAV

By Primadonna (Primadonna) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:13 pm: Edit

i wish i were serb. Any sympathy for Latinos here?

By Cscourneen (Cscourneen) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:34 am: Edit

To answer one of the first questions, NO, there is no negative effect to leaving your race blank. It is an optional box for you to answer because, legally, it can never be required on a college app. I applied w/o checking my race because I didnít want to benefit from AA (even though I qualify). I wanted to leave those spots to other students, and I wanted to know that when I was accepted, it was solely based on my credentialsÖnot race. I ended up getting accepted in to Ivyís and LACís and chose Carleton in the end.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page