How Liberal are the Following Schools?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: How Liberal are the Following Schools?
By Milano248 (Milano248) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 07:30 am: Edit

Hello everyone. Please rate for me how liberal the following schools are. The scale goes from one being complete tolerance for other points of view whereas 10 represented where professors may grade you on a bias. i.e. I've heard there are only 10 "out of the closet conservatives at Swarthmore" - what exactly does this connotate?

Amherst
Swarthmore
Williams
Bowdoin
Carleton
Middlebury
Haverford
Johns Hopkins
Georgetown
Yale

By Milano248 (Milano248) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 08:19 am: Edit

bump

By Arealtexan (Arealtexan) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 06:21 am: Edit

This website discusses issues relating to the politicisation of various campuses:

http://www.collegeguide.org/choosing/colleges/

By Bbalin (Bbalin) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Heres what I do know from students and grads of some of the colleges (rated 1-10, 1 being liberal, 5- centrist, 10-conservative)

Swarthmore- 2
Georgetown- 7
Yale- 6
Hopkins- 5.5
Amherst- 4

By Milano248 (Milano248) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Are Amherst and Swarthmore really that bad? The link didn't seem to think so, but should people be scared. For instance would a course in WWII mourn the prejudice against communists in Italy and Germany with a sit in or something?

By Bbalin (Bbalin) on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Swarthmore is pretty liberal in ideology among the students, but that doesn't mean that they're politically active. Students are accepting of other ideas and lifestyles, but don't protest against every last injustice. With Amherst, its somewhat liberal because many wealthy, socially liberal east coast families send their students there, but once again, it isn't liberal to the point of constant PCism and activism.

By Verda (Verda) on Monday, April 28, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

Which colleges/universities offer good Social Work majors?

By Bbalin (Bbalin) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 05:31 pm: Edit

sorry- i screwed up on yale. One of my friends went to Yale last year, and from what he has told me, some parts of the student body are pretty conservative, but most are somewhat liberal. Therefore, Yale should actually be a 4 or 5 on my scale.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page