The never ending debate...UCLA or USC?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: May 2003 Archive: The never ending debate...UCLA or USC?
By Samia (Samia) on Thursday, April 17, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

OK, so I just wrote about this in a post that was in the archives, but I figured I'd start a thread about it. Ok, so...I just want advice. Did I make the right decision?

USC: Excellent Annenberg Communications School (180 in my class means more attention and opportunities for me), great internships which lead to contacts and future job possibilities, school allows me to do broadcast journalism, international relations, AND pre-law (all at once), I'm a Deans Scholar, bad part of town, ranked 30th in the nation (Annenberg is like #1 though on this side of the nation for communications), lots of housing

UCLA: amazingly pretty campus, wanted to go there since I was 5, #2 public school in the nation (#25 overall), lots of people, nice college town (westwood's hecka fun), there's ALOT on campus so I never really have to leave

OK, and I don't want any biased opinions, k? Thanks!!

(BTW, I chose USC)

By Futurearchitect (Futurearchitect) on Saturday, April 19, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

Im going to USC this year too... I chose it over a ton of schools as well. I'll see you there

By Cinephilechick (Cinephilechick) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

Hey! I'm also gonna be at USC next year...rejected at film school (gonna bug the hell out of that admissions committee until they realize what a great thing they passed up...i'm so modest, huh?). Anyway, the reason I chose USC over UCLA was because of a feeling I got when I visited each campus. USC just felt more like home to me...that and they gave me quarter tuition and I'm in the Thematic Options Honors Program. Wheee.

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 08:59 pm: Edit

USC's filming department is first rate, but other than that UCLA got better reputation, and the area is a lot nicer than USC.

By Lindy (Lindy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:36 pm: Edit

I chose UCLA over USC. UCLA's campus is beautiful.

By Midnightdanzer (Midnightdanzer) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

They're both amazing schools, but: UCLA is just sooooooo HUGE!

USC has more of a family feel, and there's MAJOR school spirit

I hope I get in when I apply in two years!

By Mr_Park (Mr_Park) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

I'm gonna attend USC most likely next year as a transfer student from the University of Virginia. I'm in as an electrical engineer. Any insight on my decision? feel free to write any opinion, because it might help me make the right choice. I have some other places I might go for engineering as well. pC

By Ty310 (Ty310) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Let's just put an end to this debate right now. UCLA is better than USC in every single aspect imaginable. Best looking campus, better academics in every department, better area, food. The list goes on.

By Outwest (Outwest) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

You know, of course, that the previous poster was from UCLA. There is a HUGE rivalry between the two schools and you'll never get an honest answer from anyone. You are either pro UCLA or pro USC. It's a fact of life in the southland.
-B

By Lethalfang (Lethalfang) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:52 am: Edit

Here is someone we can all trust, who thinks that USC is a good school.
http://www.theinformationminister.com/press.php?ID=612345358

By Chiangkaishrek (Chiangkaishrek) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:50 am: Edit

Lethalfang:

(*cracks up crazily*) Oh my goodness! How the f-ck did you find that webpage?! So *$%*%^ hilarious! At first, I just saw Saddam Hussein's picture and the Iraqi people. Then I see "USC..." .."donate money to keep school running." Hahahaha. It's true my buddy.

By Chiangkaishrek (Chiangkaishrek) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 04:52 am: Edit

MR. Park:

I've read your other threads regarding transferring to USC. First of all..why do you want to work your way down to ladder from UVa to USC? Although UVa is more better in liberal arts...it's a public Ivy college.

In terms of your options..I would rather see you attending Purdue University. Their Engineering program is truly better than SC's. USC is only good for film, music, business and football.

By Spincut (Spincut) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:02 am: Edit

ok aside from the one assininely bias poster saying UCLA was better at everything....

anyhow, i beleive you can trust me. Why? well i go to USC, but i definetly do not think it's the greatest, i have a pretty even view of the whole thing, and dont buy into the rivalry thing, i just see it how it is.

USC is not in a nice area, plain and simple, you'll find yourself going to the west side to have fun. But on the plus side, the northern downtown area is undergoing alot of big rennovations currently and after your first year downtown is a pretty cool place to live.

another plus is getting to Hollywood is faster and generally easier from USC, but UCLA does have much quicker access to the Beverly Hills and Westwood areas, so it's a tossup.

UCLA and USC both have beutiful campuses though, i dont know how USC does it either, but their campus is in good shape. But USC's is definetly easier to traverse than UCLA's. Parking and traveling is enough of a pain at school as it is, but UCLA's can get quite annoying, especailly as an undergraduate student (one reason it's ok if you wanted to go there but didnt, save it for grad school when you wont be rushing around to take random Liberal Arts electives).

Those are pretty much my thoughts. I didnt like USC and i even tried to transfer, but honestly, aside from the horrible location, it isnt half bad. And as for me personally, i wouldnt want to give up my spot in a top 15-ish B-school unless i got into another one, wich i wasnt able to (and UCLA does not offer for an undergrad. so i stayed, and am quite content now that i live downtown, wich has a small ambience in its own right).

By Spincut (Spincut) on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:05 am: Edit

not enough people will ever here this but it's hypocritical for anyone to ever try and overly rag on the other school, as both sides arguments generally fall flat and futile because they're so obliviously untrue.

i've never seen someone fiercelly allied to one school tell someone as it is and they generally act like annoying children, and i'm talking UCLA or USC students. I get pretty annoyed to hear either of them say the other sucks, because they're generally wrong.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page