|By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit|
Ok, so I just visited Brown for 4 days and absolutely loved it. All my qualms about the place were dispelled, and I decided to go ED, and notified my teachers and guidance office about it. Now, I'm getting flown out to Grinnell, and everything I've heard about the place sounds awesome and I'm worried that, after seeing it, I won't be so hot on Brown. There are two problems:
1) I'm not going to Grinnel until November 4, after the ED deadline
2) If I got into both Brown and Grinnell (assuming I went RD to both) my parents would not let me go to Grinnell (mostly because they are elitist east-coasters), and therefore, I would still end up at Brown.
So, my question is, should I hold off on ED to Brown, in case I love Grinnell, or stick with it, since it probably improves my chances and I know I love Brown right now?
Any help/advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
|By Arizonamom (Arizonamom) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit|
If money is an issue go with Grinnell. Your chances of getting into Brown will be helped immensely with ED. Only you know the answer to this question. What are you looking for in a college. Both are great schools and will give you a great education. Grinnell is more self contained. Students go there for Grinnell certainly not for Iowa. Any chance of going to Grinnell earlier?
|By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:45 pm: Edit|
Your comments seem to assume you are pretty certain you will be admitted ED to Brown. What happens if you are not admitted ED to Brown? Will you have passed up an opportunity to visit Grinnell? Do you think you can convince your parents to let you go to Grinnell if you love it and are admitted?
|By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Sunday, October 10, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit|
Oh, don't think I'm cocky about getting into Brown. I'm just worried that I might possibly be making a binding decision that I'll regret, but I really have no grounds to believe that I'll regret it. Since I got the opportunity to visit Grinnell, I've been having second thoughts though. So far, my parents have said the only way I can go to Grinnell is if I don't get in anywhere else. They seem to have a personal grudge against it or something. I can't go earlier because Grinnell's paying for it, and that's the weekend they picked.
|By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit|
I agree with Arizonamom. . .only you know the answer to this question.
I would think that even though you have not been to Grinnell there are enough diferences between the schools for you to determine if Brown is your absolute #1. Your post falls short of convincing me that Brown is a clear choice.
On their website, Brown claims that they make the same type of decision in December that they do in April. In other words, they claim not to "lower the bar" for ED apps. However, since they have had ED they have shown a higher percentage of ED applicants accepted. Note that thanks to a recent $100 million donation, Brown's need-based financial aid policies are as generous as Grinnell's. Both are very generous. However, Grinnell does give merit aid; Brown does not.
Also on their website, Brown indicates that they begin looking at ED apps December 1. I believe this MAY give you a chance to change the status of an ED application to RD immediately after your Grinnell visit. There have been some posts to this effect in discussion of other schools, and you might see if other posters can comment on this possibility. You might also see what your counselor, or a Colgate admissions staff person would say about this.
|By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 09:56 am: Edit|
Why not ED-I Brown and ED-II Grinnell?
|By Bluejay (Bluejay) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 10:15 am: Edit|
This doesn't really help the Grinnell vs Brown issue but where else have you applied? You indicated that your parents said you could only go to Grinnell if you didn't get in anywhere else. Seeing that you have a good shot at these two schools you are likely to get in most schools a notch down. Would you be happy at those?
|By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit|
I'm applying to Haverford, Northwestern, and Case Western. My parents actually don't know I'm applying to Case, because they said I didn't need safety schools, but since the app fee is waived, I guess they don't really need to know unless the unpleasantness of being rejected everywhere else comes up.
I can't ED II to Grinnell mostly because my parents would have a fit. And they make enough money so that the merit aid isn't really a factor.
I had thought about possibly changing ED to RD after visiting, but I'm not sure how adcoms will like that. Thanks for all the responses!
|By Cangel (Cangel) on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit|
>My parents actually don't know I'm applying to Case, because they said I didn't need safety schools,
I can't ED II to Grinnell mostly because my parents would have a fit. And they make enough money so that the merit aid isn't really a factor.<
Alto, sometimes in reading posts from students it is hard to say whether or not they are reading their parents accurately, or reacting to the stresses of applications. Have you discussed the situation with your high school counselor? Could s/he talk to your parents. I haven't looked at your stats, but it is risky for anyone to go with no safeties. As my own daughter has wisely pointed out - "something may happen that makes me want to stay closer to home".
If they are so out of touch with current admits that they insist you need no safeties, quietly work with your school to have contingency plans for Dec ready. Hopefully, you will get into Brown.
Report an offensive message on this page E-mail this page to a friend
|Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.|
|Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only|