Choosing a college by most popular major?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Choosing a college by most popular major?
By Tormima (Tormima) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I've basically decided where I want to apply and narrowed my list down to 6-7 schools. I am interested in majoring in biology or chemistry and possibly minoring in music. However, at some of these schools, science majors are not in the "most popular major lists. Also, some do not allow a music minor. I was wondering if these are reasons to not apply to a school where I really like everything else.

By Jonw222 (Jonw222) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Which schools?

JW

By Jrcho88 (Jrcho88) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

I think the decision solely depends on what you are willing to give up.

Say... if you like the school so much that you are willing to end up not doing a music minor, than go for the school, whatever it may be.

However, I think the smarter idea would be applying to the schools, getting in, and than deciding from the list of schools you were admitted to.

By Tormima (Tormima) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Stanford, Pomona, Claremont, Wheaton IL, Pepperdine

Claremont and Pepperdine are more focused on business, and Claremont has no minors...

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

Pepperdine has an excellent science program, especially in biology. I know this first hand as my husband is a graduate, majored in bio, and had a wonderful education at Pepperdine.

Instead of Claremont Mckenna, you might consider Harvey Mudd. It's the most science oriented of the Claremont Schools. Pomona is a good choice as well. However, at any of the Claremont schools (Claremont Mckenna) you're going to be taking classes through the Claremont science consortium anyhow so it may not matter. Just at Claremont you're going to be surrounded by more business and pre-law majors.

Wheaton is excellent for sciences as well - no need to worry there. Since you have both Pepperdine and Wheaton on your list, I assume you don't mind a Christian school.

Really, I think you're set with some excellent schools on your list.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

One other school that might interest you is St. Olaf in Minnesota. They have excellent biology and chemistry programs and a simply outstanding music program. A high percentage of their students minor in music. It is a lutheran school so has a more conservative atmosphere like Pepperdine or Wheaton but is not quite as religious as those two. They also have one of the best study abroad programs I've seen at any school! www.stolaf.edu

By Tormima (Tormima) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:33 pm: Edit

thanks alot Carolyn. I've actually considered St Olaf, because of the study abroad and music, but I had no idea about their science program. Same with Pepperdine. As far as Harvey Mudd, I just don't know if I would have as many oppurtunities in music and other subjects like foreign language, but I still like it. Thanks again, you've really helped me clear up a few things!

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 01:56 pm: Edit

you need to do more research. Contact those schools without a minor and find out if you are able to take the classes you want even if you don't have the minor. At some schools its difficult to take fine arts classes (like music) if you're not in the major. At other schools, no problem.

As for your first question, it doesn't matter if science majors are the most popular or not. Actually I'd be surprised if there are too many schools where they ARE popular since they tend to be more difficult that liberal-arts majors.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page