I fail at life!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: I fail at life!
By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 01:17 am: Edit

I have a dilemma. Hm.
What I'm applying to right now in order of preference is:
1) UPenn ED
1) UChicago EA
3) Middlebury
4) Johns Hopkins [not applying if i get into uchicago. one insane studying school is enough.]
5) UMich
6) UW-Madison

Majors: Int'l Relations, East Asian Studies

The actual problem is with UChi. They require a math/sci rec along with a history/english rec.

I've already asked my Japanese teacher of 3 years (including sr year) and my AP US teacher of 1 year. This isn't concrete, I could always tell them I've changed my mind. But I know these two will be really strong. I have the closest relationship with my J teacher and my AP US teacher was really, really in love with me and in combination, both would be able to write two amazing recs.

There's one math teacher I had first term Jr year that I could ask. I didn't have any kind of personal relationship with him. The only math teacher who vaguely knows me outside of class has already announced that she's not accepting recs anymore.

I'd attempt to persuade her first.

But I feel like UChi's rule is so ridiculous. My school only allows two teacher recs and to ask 3 would make me feel awful. And I'm not a good liar, I'm sure the teacher would figure out I'm using him only for one school, or the college office people would figure out I'm using 3 teachers. And it's unethical. Recs take work and I don't want them to expend any unnecessary effort.

Now, obviously the math rec would help at UChi. It's kind of necessary. Middlebury and UPenn, I think, would benefit more from the original teacher combination. UPenn's app specifically says to choose the teacher who write your recs based on your academic areas of interest/intended majors.

Really, it comes down to UPenn vs. UChi. I don't know why I like UPenn more than UChi or vice versa. I don't know what UPenn offers that UChi doesn't, and the reverse as well. If given a choice between penn and chicago, I wouldn't know which to choose. I have a much better shot at Chicago than at Penn. I don't know if I'm attracted to Penn a bit more JUST because it's an ivy. I've visited Penn, havent visited Chicago, though from descriptions it seems I'd love the city & school. It's too expensive to visit without being admitted anyway.

I honestly would not mind applying to UChicago, Midd, UMich, and UW-Madison. True, there aren't any real reaches on that list. Maybe add JHU.

Basically, in summary, etc: the only reason I'm hesitant about using a math/sci rec is because of UPenn. This is silly. Uchicago doesn't accept foreign language recs, so I'd be doing math/ap us.

someone just nod and smile. and convince me not to apply to upenn and be happy with life. and not feel like i'm missing out on something, even though i have a ridiculously small chance of getting in.

ahhh incoherency.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

Chill out Greek Princess!!! LOL The direct approach always works best. Have your Japanese and US History teachers fill your application recs. Appoach your Math teach separately and ask him to fill your Chicago application rec. Tell your match teacher that you are having the other two teach fill out your other recs because they know you better, but that his rec would be more valuable to Chicago. Those teachers are there to herlp you and your math teacher, if he is a professional, should be understanding.

My two cents.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:21 am: Edit

I agree with Alexandre. I don't see a problem at all. Especially since you are providing the stamped envelope.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:47 am: Edit

Don't fully understand your list of schools...

By Renobi888 (Renobi888) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

why don't you apply to Georgetown School of Foreign Service Early Action? If you're deadset on majoring in International Relations, there really isn't a program that can compare. It's literally a 4 year immersion in everything international relations, and Georgetown has an excellent language department as well. (heck being fluent in a foreign language is a requirement!) Also, it has an excellent loaction being in the rich part of Washington DC. It's harder to get into Early Action prolly than Penn ED, but because it is Early Action, you can also apply to Chicago at the same time. however, Georgetown does not let you do both EA there and ED elsewhere.

Hoya saxa!

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

I don't see Tufts on there. Isn't Tufts great for International Relations? (Somewhere in the Top 1,2,3?)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page