If you go to a business school for undergrad...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: If you go to a business school for undergrad...
By Chezo (Chezo) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:46 am: Edit

what would you do for grad?

and would it be better for someone to do engineering in undergrad and then a MBA?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:51 am: Edit

If you do business for undergrad, it seems logical to do business for grad. It is quite possible to do engineering undergrad followed by an MBA among other degrees (which I am intending to pursue). However, an engineering undergrad doesn't give you an edge in getting into a business grad school, and it's something you should only do if you have a genuine interest in engineering.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:53 am: Edit

Yes, an engineering undergrad degree with an MBA will give you many more employment options. B schools very much like engineering undergrads.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:16 am: Edit

I second Mom. Engineering is a better undergraduate major than Business. MBA programs love Engineers' Quantitative skills.

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

Whether MBA programs love engineers or not, if a person's primary interest is business, then it makes little sense to influence them to major in engineering in order to pursue that interest. Would you tell someone looking for a PhD in Physics to first get a BA in Anthropology?

No matter how much business schools like engineering degrees, if one does not have the passion for engineering, one should not go with that just because it may give them a slight advantage in getting in a business school. Now if engineering is something you'd truly enjoy, then by all means go for it, but I've never heard of someone being turned away from business school because they had a degree in Economics rather than Computer Engineering.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:53 am: Edit

The OP is clearly interested in engineering or he wouldn't have posed the question. He asked "if it would be better." The answer is yes. He will have skills that are more broad. He will be much more attractive to technology companies and those that serve them--venture capital, ibanks and consulting firms among others. Anyone seeking an MBA who has a deep area of knowledge beyond their business skills has a leg up.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:26 am: Edit

Yes, engineer + MBA is a great combo. The engineering degree is an entree to a good paying job after undergrad and the MBA raises the ceiling and widens opportunities. The only downside to all of this is that engineering students have a tough time getting the grades that other majors do. And to get into the top professional programs-MBA, law, med, grades do count heavily.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:30 am: Edit

But MBA programs do care the least about grades of the three...the average at the top few schools: H/S/W Columbia, Chicago, MIT, Kellogg is something around a 3.5, much lower than the same schools for law and med. The scores, percentage wise, are just as high though and work experience is critical...

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 03:55 pm: Edit

From my understanding most of the MBA programs now a days like to see work experience in the business world. That's wonderful if you major in engineering and then get an engineering job, but I think they would prefer to see you working in some business related field for a couple of years.

By Spn2200 (Spn2200) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

For grad school, business undergrads could definetly do business again, which can be great because you can specialize in a certain aspect like real estate, accounting, finance. I would also look into getting a masters in economics too. I am thinking of doing either real estate or economics in grad school.

By 80drofnats (80drofnats) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

yes, basically all business schools care about is your business/work experience, and i've heard from some top businessmen that you need a technical backgroud, i.e. engineering, to excel in business now. the perfect undergrad experience would be a "major" in engineering with a bunch of other classes in economics and the sort, with plenty of outside business experience.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 08:40 pm: Edit

I know many Ivy engineers who are ideal hires for consulting/ banking firms and have gone on to the top b-schools

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page