What if you cant find a safety you'd be happy with???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: What if you cant find a safety you'd be happy with???
By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

what if this is this case, does it just mean you're a prestige whore, or you havent looked hard enough?? i just dont see my self being happy surrounded by people ive tried so hard to stay away from by taking AP classes, am i just being too critical, too harsh?

By Mini (Mini) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Yes.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:05 pm: Edit

Apply to Michigan in September, its easy to get in compared to Ivies, etc, especially early in the cycle. Rolling, so after you get accepted in October, no need for a safety at all. Personally, after I got in, my real safety was Northwestern. You seem like you will get into honors based on those comments and if not, you can always get in after enrolling with a good enough GPA.

By Genova (Genova) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

I'd say a little, yes. Just so you know, a lot of very intelligent individuals attend state universities; it costs less and you're getting the same education. Not everyone who attends a public university was an unintelligent standard course-taking slacker in high school...and you very much seem to be implying that by saying, "i just dont see my self being happy surrounded by people ive tried so hard to stay away from by taking AP classes."

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

That is also very true. You can find smart people anywhere...

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 11:57 pm: Edit

No. You may just be picky. Some kids cannot find a college where they would be happy. Or a job, or a partner, or a situation. Right now you think you cannot find a college that is a safety for you that you think you will be happy with. It is just a state of mind at the moment. You may not be happy even if you get into your dream school; it happens. And you may love a school that you are initially not thrilled about. That happens too.

There are a number of schools that have kids who have taken the tough courses and are excellent students that do. Tech schools tend to have kids with some high numbers and they are not generally as selective simply because of the offerings and the atmosphere of the campus. But if you want a good number of top students that are serious about academics, you will certainly find them there. Honors programs are also a venue.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

i think if you think you don't need a safety, your being overly confident, i take offence at your statement, becuase about 60% of each class at my hs goes to ohio state university, some of them ranked in the top 10, state schools are not just full of slackers

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

"i think if you think you don't need a safety, your being overly confident"

reread my post, i never said that, i just said i probably wouldnt be happy. and i know state schools are not just for slackers, i know i kid who went to the state school over harvard because he was offered a full ride. i know some people do this but in a school with 20,000 students, the presence of 200 smart ones doesnt make it "not for slackers" it just means the school isnt not for non-slackers. the majority still took the easy way out during high school and didnt care to do anything during their whole highschool career. also, i dont like big schools.

By Bookworm (Bookworm) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 09:52 pm: Edit

I think its part of the application process to dream of one school. Then, as time goes on, other factors start intruding. For ex., my S could have gone to safety school, the state U, in Honors program for free. His AP's amd CC classes would have placed him as a junior. Another match school told him he'd have an MS in the 4 years. His dream school can be a challenge to graduate in 4 years, and no merit $. One begins to think, "do I want to be surrounded by kids as smart or smarter than me?" or, "Do I want to be special, and have easier time getting into grad school?"
Having done your best in HS, you have many options. Picking the dream schools is easy part, then studying and thinking about what you really want is tough--location, size, majors, etc-but these are qualities when choosing match schools.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Having no idea what your application profile looks like, I would simply point out that if you are open to small schools it would not be difficult for you to find a safety that would meet your needs and interests.

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 11:03 pm: Edit

my stats are so-so, reidmc if you want to see them, here they are, http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?757/80240

this is my list-

reach-
amherst
rice
pomona
dartmouth
duke(maybe)
middlebury

match-
boston college
wesleyan
colgate

safety-
KU
UMich(maybe)

yeah....im a dreamer....and i need to cut a couple schools

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

Your stats are first-rate.

I'd delete Duke and Boston College, and if you aren't excited about large universities delete KU and UMich.

Some less-selective LACs (less selective than the ones you list, that is) to investigate - very good for econ; solid math; excellent law school prep - are:

Match: Carleton, Macalester, Bates; maybe Grinnell.
Safety: Trinity (CT - on the match/safety borderline), Rhodes; maybe Kenyon or Franklin & Marshall

By Kousuke (Kousuke) on Thursday, August 26, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

why drop Boston College?

By Par72 (Par72) on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 12:37 am: Edit

Some other small, very good LAC's are Colby and Holy Cross. Duke is a great school while Boston College is popular class size tends to be large and academics not on same level of Wesleyan and Colgate.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page