Honors Colleges List

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Honors Colleges List
By Path1 (Path1) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Does anyone know of a comprehensive list of state universities with Honors Colleges?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 04:25 pm: Edit

I know this isn't an exact answer to your question, but most state universities do offer honors colleges.

By Path1 (Path1) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

Is there any ranking of honors college available?

By Oldman (Oldman) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:21 pm: Edit

I attempted last year to research this topic and met with little success. A reasonable approach would be to identify state schools you are interested in and then dig out the info.....as Candi 1657 notes most schools have such programs. In these parts Georgia has an appealing program with merit aid,etc.etc.

By Path1 (Path1) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:39 pm: Edit

I just thought it would be a worthwile list to have. Our state Us'are very highly regarded locally (ASU and UofA) but I thought someone might have taken the time to do a more in depth analysis. I am particularly interested in whether the students get priority placement in classes and which departments/schools are especially strong at which honors college.

By Dramatica (Dramatica) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Florida (a state university) has a stand alone residential Honors College on its Jupiter campus about 50 miles north of Boca Raton. It is essentially a small liberal arts colleges within the auspices of a large multi campus regional public university. You can check their website at:

http://www.honorscollege.edu This is from their website:

"The Harriet L. Wilkes Honors College of Florida Atlantic University, which opened in the Fall of 1999, is the first public honors institution to be built from the ground up in the United States. Its intellectual foundation is a belief in liberal arts education as the best preparation for a full and productive life."

Hope this helps!

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Path~, I agree with Oldman on the research. It seems that every honors program we looked at differed based on the university and their agenda for the program. Some are intensive for the particular college - like engineering or architecture or business - and some are general through the university with colloquia and such. Also the requirements for acceptance and retention differ school to school.

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Im going to UC Irvine next year and will be part of its honors college, actually its called the Campuswide Honors Program. You get 4 years guaranteed on campus housing (if you want it of course), priority registration (even ahead of the athletes), you take small honors core sequence classes and then work on a research paper with faculty your senior year. It's a big prep for grad school. Generally CHP kids either get a Chancellors scholarship (7k per year) or Regents scholarship (9k per year). I got Chancellors. Of course you are eligible for more aid too.

By Bookiemom (Bookiemom) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 02:33 pm: Edit

Path1: I have had good luck just picking up the phone and calling the college when I want info about something such as an honors college. You might get passed around within the college a bit, but you can talk to the honors college person yourself and ask specific questions or ask for a general rundown. I did this at my D's college and the woman seemed very happy to talk with me about it.

Since you have two honors colleges at state U's right in your state, you and your student could even just arrange to go there, meet with the honors college person, and have a tour.

University of Oregon's honors college is popular with bright in-state kids in OR. That might interest you if your students wants out-of-state.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page