What is a Legal Analyst?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: What is a Legal Analyst?
By Bballerd7 (Bballerd7) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 02:28 am: Edit

And what do I have to Major in if I'd like to be one?

IF anyone knows exactly what it is,

Please briefly explain the job and what they do. Thanks

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 08:55 am: Edit

As far as I know there is no such legal job except that media reporters who report on legal events are often called legal analysts. Those are very often lawyers pursuing a journalist career.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 05:58 pm: Edit

If you mean Legal Assistants, they are non-lawyers who do some legal resarch, organize case files, contact witnesses on occassion, and make initial drafts of routine documents. For the most part, their work varies by the requests of the lawyer(s) for whom they work.

If you really mean a Legal Analyst, most are in the media as commentators on TV, or columnists for newspapers. Usually they are experienced attorneys with an interest in the media. Several of the journalists who cover the U.S. Supreme Court are not lawyers but have received specialized training in Constitutional Law. Some major Wall Street firms employ intellectual property attorneys to evaluate which side will win in a patent dispute. These positions go to experienced attorneys and there are not many of these positions.

By Rubbernecking (Rubbernecking) on Tuesday, August 24, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

What are the job prospects like for the analysts (media people, not the people who work for lawyers)? Is it the kind of job you can take right out of law school, or do you need a lot of experience? Does it pay well as compared to other law-related jobs?

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Wednesday, August 25, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

There is no one answer to your question. It all depends on what position you seek with any giving media organization. I would suggest you identify several people currently holding the position you seek and look at their training and experience. I suspect you will find that being a legal analyst is extremely competitive because there are so few positions available.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page