Any One Know Anything About UCSD???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Any One Know Anything About UCSD???
By Jl87d (Jl87d) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:43 pm: Edit

Does anyone know anything about the University of California San Diego? It seems to be highly renown by the academic community , be in a great climate, has a low faculty to student ratio, has great on campus living, and the financial aid seems good; So what's the catch?

They seem to accept a high percentage of applicants, which would imply they don't receive very many. I hardly ever see anyone that has it on their list of where to apply. So what's wrong with UCSD? Is there something I'm not seeing? Or is it maybe One of those 'best kept secrets'(I know a cliche), over shadowed by the other universities of California(UCLA and Berkeley)?

It really looks like a good fit for me, So I would appreciate any more information. I'm planning to transfer, and later attend graduate school there(majoring in Psychology, PhD in Experimental Psychology).

Thanks For The Help,
:-)(-:

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:56 pm: Edit

I am at UCSD right now. I see it on a lot of peoples list. I personally took it over UCLA because UCLA was jsut a bit to crowded and hectic for me.I know it is constatly called a "top tier" uc meaning ucla/ucsd/cal. I think if youe down to UCLA/UCSD its really about what kinda atmosphere you like. I am moee into bodyboarding and beach type stuff which is why i took UCSD. If you like sports and stuff like that then UCLA is most definatly for you. I dont really get where you are comming up with "whats wrong with UCSD" it is an aswesome school and I along with 3 buddies all took it over UCLA. The scene here is awesome if you like happy hour and the beach and nice weather. People seem to say on campus is quiet but I really dont know as I live off campus and have never had a hrd time finding something fun to do. the campus is 5 minutes from PB and about 15 from downtown sd so you have the option to do a lot of things. I dont know about getting into the "overshadowing" thing I wont lie and say Cal isnt more well known but when it comes down to it and youre spending all day at school taking tests meeting deadlines ETC a few spots on the US NEWS isnt going to help get you through the day, So I advise to go visit every campus talk to some kids and simply go where you feel happy thats what I did and it worked great.

By Bballerd7 (Bballerd7) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Well, according to what I've heard and read, they say that although it may be a good school academically, the social life is DEAD.

I also read through several college-review books that several students from the school nicknamed it "University of Children Socially Disoriented" or somethin...

They said it's not really a party-social school, IF that's what your looking for (other than academics)

UCSB is both academics AND party !

By Brandnew (Brandnew) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:00 pm: Edit

heh, there's a lot of UCSD threads floating around (there's one a few posts below you right now in fact).

From what I gather they do in fact receive of alot of applicants, and they accept a good %. This just means that their yield % of people who attend vs people are accepted is low. I think their yield hovers around 20%, so basically only 1 in 5 accepted people attend.

There could be a variety of reasons for this. One possibility is that it's not really lumped with the "lesser" UCs like irvine/davis/sb, but not quite good enough as "better" UCs (LA/B). People who attend the lesser UCs usually aren't good enough to make it into UCSD. But a good percentage of people who are accepted to UCSD are usually good enough to make it into either UCLA or Berkeley, so they go there instead.

Also, I've heard a lot of horror stories about UCSD's social scene, which may put off some people. The campus is also very large and spread out, and not very convenient.

Well that's all I can tell you. That being said, it's a solid place to get an education, and if you feel that it's a good match for you then go for it.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:03 pm: Edit

it was "university of california socially dead" =P i like that one but its really not if you are somewhat good looking and can get your ass off the couch you will have fun. I moved down not knowing anyone( friends havent moved down yet) and found parties by just being outgoing.

By Jl87d (Jl87d) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Thanks For The help.
Bump, anyone else have any more information?

By Aeolus (Aeolus) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:53 pm: Edit

UCSD is trying to build more activities on campus but the campus is really dry (not alot of drinking which is usually conducive to parties). You will find more stuff going on off campus usually. Pacific Beach or PB is a really nice surfer town that I like, where you can chill. Freshmen are most keen to go TJ (Tijuana, Mexico) or the gas lamp. You'll find your own niche. If you are looking for UCSB mega drinking parties however, you will not find it at UCSD. San Diego/La Jolla though is really pretty (its next to the beach in an upscale town) and has great climate so if you are outdoorsy, this will be perfect for you.

By Shyboy13 (Shyboy13) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:31 pm: Edit

Even the lower UC's (Riverside and Santa Cruz) are actually pretty good. I would be proud to go to UCSD. I have actually considered it for a Ph.D in econ. True, it may not have the prestige of UCLA or Berkeley but it is easily third among UC's. Whenever I see someone with a UCSD shirt or bumper sticker I give them props in my mind. Academically, it is a powerful school with something like 4 or 5 Nobel Prize winners having been associated with it. This may not sound like much but consider that most schools cannot even boast a single Nobel Prize winner let alone 4 or 5. Grad schools will regognize UCSD also.

By Jl87d (Jl87d) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 09:07 am: Edit

Kriskrass,
Bballerd7,
Brandnew,
Aeolus,
And
Shyboy13,
Thank You For Your Help.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page