Oh good! Another [my] List! [LAC suggestions plz]

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Oh good! Another [my] List! [LAC suggestions plz]
By Jeffreysan (Jeffreysan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:28 am: Edit

slacker stats

School Type: Public
Race/Gender: Asian/Male
Prospective Major: Pharm/History/Chem (no clue)
Unweighted GPA: 3.5
Weighted GPA: never bothered to recalculate it
Class rank: top 20% of aprox 480

ACT: 30 [27math/36reading/30science/28lang] i think

SAT I Scores
SAT I Math: 620
SAT I Verbal: 680

SAT II Scores
SAT II Writing: 700
SAT II U.S. History: 720
SAT II Math I: 470 (complete lack of recollection + borrowed calculator i was unable to get out of Falldown) oh and my parents arent azn. im adopted

My only EC is bowling, because they actually decided to make it a letter sport (avg:214 woohoo). Everyone at school with the exception of a handfull despise the nonsport extracurriculars (especially NHS) and particiupate solely for college applications, decided it wasnt worth it.

I passed the advanced placement English and History exams with 4's. This year I have AP Chem and Gov.

Anyways this is what Im seriously considering atm

Knox- only drawback i can think of is lame location
Goucher- have read some negative reviews, but the majority were good. baltimore area sounds cool
Occidental - prob a reach, looked good until PR adjusted its selectivity ratings and i checked admittance rates. also my dad lives in fresno, so CA would be nice

I read the two Loren Pope books and am pretty sold on smaller private schools. Im looking for a LAC preferably in a urban environment and reasonable cost however neither is absolutely essential, while graduate school acceptance rates are. Student body considerations are just no conservative/religious strongholds but on the other hand not infested with ultra liberal weirdos (read: hippies)

havnt slept it 2 days. ill read responses when i wake up.
thanks

By Jeffreysan (Jeffreysan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:32 am: Edit

typo**SAT 610 math 670 verbal. 1280

By Tlaktan (Tlaktan) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:36 am: Edit

If you apply to Early Decision Occidental, do remember that it holds nearly a 50% acceptance rate ED, so you may want to look into that.

If you want to try, you can also apply to the UCs, but I'm not quite sure about the rules of residency, etc., UCB isn't full of hippies, but isn't quite religious either (hehehe), so you may want to consider there. UCLA is politically inactive for the most part, so that's great too. UCI, UCR, UCSB, UCSC, are all great schools.

Have you considered Bowdoin? Although it is a bit tougher to enter on your scores, you may want to consider it anyway.

By Mini (Mini) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:54 am: Edit

Occidental, Macalester, and Reed are the three best urban LACs I know of, and your ACT score actually puts you in range of all three (throw away the SATs!), though the latter two are probably closer to being reaches. Occidental is a GREAT school! Pitzer is almost urban (in the town of Claremont, but within 45 minutes of downtown LA), allows you access to classes at the 5 Claremont schools, and has some innovative programs of its own. Another LAC that is almost urban (though beautiful campus) and up your alley is Lewis & Clark.

By Wutdeh (Wutdeh) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:47 pm: Edit

Reed, from my experiences, has a lot of weirdos so I would not recommend that school based upon the student body you are looking for.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

Add Skidmore and Wheaton College in Mass. to your list - both great schools and both would be match schools for you (Wheaton possibly a safety) Other possibilities: Trinity University in San Antonio, Texas, Pitzer in the Claremont Colleges, or Lawrence U in Wisconsin. You might also take a look at Lewis & Clark in Portland Oregon. All of the above would be good match schools for you.

Re: Goucher. My daughter didn't think she'd like Goucher but when we visited recently she fell in love. It's a beautiful campus that feels very secluded yet you step outside of the campus and you have a good sized town within walking distance plus a free shuttle bus that runs into Baltimore and to the other college campuses nearby like Johns Hopkins and Loyola. She loved the combination of feeling like she was in the country while on campus but being able to take advantage of city things. Also, Goucher students are allowed to take one course a semester at any of the other 5 colleges which broadens your class options. She talked with two students while we were there and the main negatives they mentioned were that it's a small school (not a problem in my daughter's mind and they are planning to increase enrollment to 1500 over the next two years) and that the male-female ratio is only about 30-70 right now (probably not a negative for YOU! LOL)

By Mini (Mini) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Forgot to add: Trinity (Connecticut) is also a good urban LAC. (the urban is the tough part: good LACs are a dime a dozen.)

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:47 pm: Edit

MAcalester and Occidental are definitely reaches for you and I'd say your only chance is ED. Lewis & Clark would be a better bet than Reed. Don't rule out Knox, as pleny of urban and suburban kids like it there.

Look into College of Wooster and Denison - both very good schools were slackers have picked up their game and gotten to graduate school. Also, what about Kalamazoo?

Think about an essay on your bowling. . .can't imagine LAC adcoms see many on that subject.

By Mini (Mini) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Your ACT score is top end of the 25-75% range at Macalester, and even slightly higher at Occidental. These are clearly not safeties, but certainly not out of range reaches. Unless you can bring up the SAT scores, simply don't submit 'em.

But, yes, the bowling thing is problematic. 214 is BIG time bowling too (I think there are quite a few schools in the Mid-West with bowling scholarships.)

By Par72 (Par72) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Holy Cross might be a good match-nice campus,in an urban area also only 1 hour from Boston. Holy Cross likes to recruit students from all over so that might help. As a Jesuit school like Georgetown, Holy Cross is not overly religious and the political atmosphere is a mixture.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page