Self-Study AP Econ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Self-Study AP Econ?
By Apply85 (Apply85) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:51 pm: Edit

I'm a rising Senior, and I will take Economics 1st semester and Sociology 2nd semester. I don't know how far away that is from the material in AP... but I was wondering if I should self-study AP Microeconomics or AP Macroecomics (I've actually wanted to learn this material for a while).

So, just a couple of questions:

1) Do you reccomend I self-study one of these?
2) Has anybody taken macro or micro, and have a recommendation of which to take, etc?
3) If I was to self-study one of these, how would I note these on college applications?
4) Is there any math involved in either, or do the questions just ask about concepts?

By the way, if it makes any difference, last yr I took AP Comp Sci, AP English, and AP US Hist; this year I'm taking AP Stat, AP BC Calc, AP Eng Lit; and I'm planning to major in business.

By Im_Blue (Im_Blue) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:13 pm: Edit

1) Yes, Economics is one of the easiest APs along with Psychology.

2) I've taken both and I found micro to be easier to self-study (i.e. cram) because it deals less with graphs (aggregate trends) and more with concepts.

3) I don't think this would do any good on college applications. Anyone can say they're self-studying - how do the colleges know how hard you're working?

4) The only math involved is a couple of equations involving addition and possibly division. There are also graph questions.

By Apply85 (Apply85) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:53 am: Edit

I dunno, if you're self-studying an AP, would you have your teacher/counselor make a note of that on your app (or sign something)?
I dont know how it works.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:15 am: Edit

that's like saying you're self-studying anything, a language, or something. they have no way of knowing if its substantial until after theyve made their decision. you could also just decide not to take the AP exam.

what's the point of letting them know? self-studying an ap isnt going to make or break you, especially considering you've taken 3 and are taking like 4 more AP classes. just focus on doing well and getting out of the intro-level econ courses.

By Mikemac (Mikemac) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

I think its worth it, especially if you attend a school that doesn't offer many APs and you're taking them all (or almost all). Top colleges want to see that you've challenged yourself, and this is one way of showing a desire to learn. Of course you have to counter-balance it by the fact that econ isn't too difficult, and colleges are well aware of the difficulty of AP courses.

If it fits in your schedule, you are better off taking it at a local CC. You get an instructor to ask questions, for one thing. But if you can't do this, why not sign up for an independent study class with a teacher at your HS? I did this for an algebra class that wasn't offered. Surf the web or use some other technique to get a syllabus for what an AP econ class covers, then set it up with the teacher to show you are making regular progress (maybe meet every 3rd week for a conference). This way its on your transcript, and of course you will take the AP exam so you get credit for it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page