My chances at Business programs

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: My chances at Business programs
By Perniciouspimp (Perniciouspimp) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:20 am: Edit

I'm interested in pursuing an undergraduate business program (Wharton, Stern, etc.). What is a good, realistic program I can get into with my credentials?

Academics:
GPA: 4.0 unweighted (out of 4.0)
SAT: 1560 (800 V, 760 M)
Have taken all advanced classes (including 10 AP classes).
I'm planning on taking the SAT II writing, math IIC, and Bio tests in October.

Extracurriculars:
Scholar's bowl (4 years, 3 years Varsity)
Science Bowl (3 Years)
Science Olympiad (2 Years)
Mock Trial (2 Years)
Beta Club (2 Years)
Mu Alpha Theta (2 Years)
Science National Honor Society (2 Years)
Key Club (3 years)
Debate Team (1 year)
Literary Magazine editor (2 years)
Internship at hospital (1 year)

I've done a lot of community service for the service clubs I'm in. I don't really have a lot of leadership positions but I'm very dedicated to the clubs I'm in.

Awards/honors:
Honor Roll
Science and math awards (for grades in math and science)
Some Scholar's bowl, science bowl, and science olympiad awards

Essay and Recommendation: I think I can get a decent recommendation and write a decent essay:-)

thnx

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:59 am: Edit

You can get into the top 4 Business programs (Wharton, MIT, Michigan and Cal). But I would personally go to Havard, Princeton, Stanford or MIT and double major in Economics and Mathematics. You'll probably get a better job that way and in the future, top MBA programs would probably find you more appealing. Just a thought.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:54 am: Edit

WOW, I agree with Alexandre!! He is so right, people from econ at the top schools get the same jobs and the benefit of being more appealing into grad school

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

Slipper, you and I don't disagree on much. The difference between you and I is that you seem to believe that Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, Duke and Penn are better than Cal, Chicago, Cornell, Johns Hopkins and Michigan. I believe all 10 are roughly equal.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

True, you're right, probably the biggest difference is that I see Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, Duke and Penn right after HYPS, whereas you see a large distinction between HYPS and those other five...the drop-off just isnt't that drastic

By Scubasteve (Scubasteve) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:01 pm: Edit

"Brown, Dartmouth, Columbia, Duke and Penn are better than Cal, Chicago, Cornell, Johns Hopkins and Michigan"

What about UVA ???

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Slipper, I don't think the difference between Brown, Cal, Chicago, Cornell, Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Michigan and Penn is that great at all. But you see a difference between those 10. There isn't a difference. I would even add Northwestern, UVA and UCLA to the mix. All those schools are equal.

By Perniciouspimp (Perniciouspimp) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:53 pm: Edit

Thnx for the input guys. But do u think my extracurriculars and awards are significant enough to get into these prestigious programs. Plus, I don't have any work experience.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page