H, Y, or P

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: H, Y, or P
By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

i want opinions on which college i should apply to. i am not going to visit them, so i just want your opinion on why you would go to whichever one. i want comments on the social life, what kinda people go there, the diversity, the school spirit and pride, the atmosphere, the residential life, the college town, the beauty of the campus, and the sense of community. The academics are all top-notch, so i dont want very many academic opinions. do Harvard, Yale, adn Princeton all have 4 yrs guaranteed housing?

thanks

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

maybe i can apply to two or all of them, right?
theyre all on the common app, so it would just be a matter of app fees right?

do I need to pick one?

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:31 am: Edit

Sure, you can apply to all. It's only a matter of the app fees. If that's no problem, go for it. However, you'd have to decide between them sooner or later, (providing you are accepted to all of them) so it might be more practical to choose one before applying.

By Tropicanabanana (Tropicanabanana) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:34 am: Edit

I'll give you my opinions.

My parents really wanted me to apply to Princeton and even literally forced me into visiting. It probably has the best undergrad education out of all 3 but I didn't like it because it's too preppy and conservative for me so I didn't apply there.

I visited Yale and fell in love with it. I was looking at primarily LACs because I wanted to avoid TAs but I didn't find this a problem here. 4 out of the 5 classes I'm taking next year don't have TAs and the fifth is a lecture by Harold Bloom so I'll gladly take the TAs. I'm taking 3 seminars (literature, philosophy and politics). The class I'm most excited about is a beginning poetry workshop taught by Louise Gluck, the Poet Laureate last year. I could have taken another seminar and completely avoided TAs, but I wanted to take a class with Harold Bloom just for the experience. So if you're worried about a huge, impersonal experience, that's not really a factor. If you get into one of these schools, you'll be going to a school that lures all kinds of academic giants. Ex presidents, kings, all the most brilliant people of our society gather here, so I wouldn't worry about the academic quality.

As New Haven improves, Yale becomes more popular. It's a working class blue collar town, and for someone from suburban hell like me, that's good. The area around Yale is pretty nice for students and it has all the stores and bars a student could want. This is because Yale buys the property. If you go farther, it's a depressed city. This creates a better sense of community that you won't find at schools with great cities surrounding them. For example at Columbia lots of people leave the campus in packs and roam the city, but at Yale more stay on campus and that was really important to me.

Another good thing about Yale is that you can get money for basically anything you want to do. Even for really dumb things, they have grants available. Yale emphasizes staying on campus for four years. I like that because I don't want half my class leaving junior year. Still, traveling is important to me so I'll do it during the summer which is a popular thing among the students.

Yale is really artsy so although it has a lot of rich students, it doesn't have a "preppy" feel and is more laid back. It's also called the "gay ivy" and is very liberal, two things that contribute to the quirky culture. Theatre is also a big thing and is easy to get involved in, although it takes up a LOT of time because the students are so professional about it.

The traditions are a major part of the campus life, especially the residential colleges. My favorites are the masters teas where they invite famous people to tea, the real bulldogs they bring to everything, the bells of Harkness tower playing the Beatles and '80s hits, the frosh only feast in Commons in December, in between attending differently-themed parties in all 12 residential colleges, the early 1900's stone carvings in the library and around the campus..of gargoyles relieving themselves and students sleeping or being tempted away from books by devils, receiving bribes, prostitutes being arrested, and drunks talking their way out of an arrest, and bulldogs carrying legal briefs.

I think a lot of people visit Yale and just fall in love. The buildings are magnificent and the campus is incredibly beautiful and you just feel like you're in the middle of something very important. As far as campus life, there is a lot of alcohol available. The administration turns a blind eye. I know this because on the night of bulldog days, the admitted student weekend, there was lots of alcohol. Everyone parties and has fun, and there's a decent amount of drugs if you're into that. There are tons of things going on around campus on any given day. The political union is a big thing and they have speakers all the time and the service organization is the largest in the country. Extracurriculars are extremely important. There are so many types of people, I'm not even going to begin to describe what a Yalie is like.

Harvard is a great school, too. I don't know that much about it. I don't hate it like I'm supposed to! I was accepted and visited but I think someone else would be more qualified to answer. It's prestige is unsurpassable and I think it's deserved.

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

bump

By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

In my opinion, (I'm an '08 Tiger), Princeton and Yale have the most in common as far as their focus on undergrads, residential colleges, warm student body (which I didn't find so much at Harvard). Obviously Harvard and Yale are connected with major cities and feel urban because of it. For me it came down to Princeton's campus (which i.m.o. is by far the nicest, and New Haven can be frightening), it's more conservative student body, and smaller size (I too looked at alot of LACs, and I might have actually prefered Williams (which I got into) to H (which I didn't)), but in the end Princeton and the Woodrow Wilson School (politics) fit me perfectly.

By Yep (Yep) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:44 pm: Edit

consider your possible major also... of the three, princeton easily has the best engineering program...

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:48 pm: Edit

i wanna do engineering with premed

is that possible?

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

which school is best for this combo

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page