Help! Stuck between two colleges!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Help! Stuck between two colleges!
By Hopkinslax (Hopkinslax) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:48 pm: Edit

I just came back from visiting Case Western and now I am really stuck between two colleges:
Case Western and University of Rochester
I want to major in Biomedical Engineering and I know that Case is 4th in the nation but I have also heard that besides optics, BME is one of UR's specialties...
I've lived in the suburbs all my life, so I don't know what living in the city is like(UR over Case)
I can stand snow, but I don't love it(Case over UR)
Dorms(UR way over Case)
BME Program(Case over UR)
Cirriculum(UR over Case)
Proximity to a University Hospital(Both)
Distance(UR over Case)
Happiness... ????????
Case has EA and UR has ED... should I do both early or what?

By Mini (Mini) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:03 am: Edit

Why don't you just see which one ends up costing the least? (I could have said which one gives you the most aid, but the issue is the net price, not the apocryphal merit or need-based grant.)

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

If it's not financially impractical, you should take a trip to Rochester and visit U of R and the city of Rochester. That would be giving both schools a fair shot. I've lived in NYC for most of my life (northern jersey for a few years), so Rochester isn't much of a city to me. I find it quite suburban, but obviously there is a big difference between NYC and most cities. I'm pretty sure Rochester would make a fine median between the suburb you're used to and a big city.

I was in the same situation you are in with regards to the snow issue (only my only options were snow or MORE SNOW). It's really not too bad though.

U of R has a great reputation, but as you already know CWRU has a higher rank in your major (which you could always end up changing)... honestly, a number isn't worth deciding the next 4 years of your life. Both schools will end up giving you good opportunities after graduation, so it's a matter of finding the one that suits you better. I'd say visiting the other college is the best way to do that.

My 3 cents.

By A2a2 (A2a2) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:20 am: Edit

You don't sound like you're committed enough to apply early. If your stats are strong enough to be admitted regular decision, you may as well wait -- especially since both of these schools have decent merit aid and you may want to compare packages.

As far as location goes, Rochester isn't a great city. I'm not that familiar with Cleveland, but I think it's had a modest comeback and may have an edge over Rochester. Both schools are highly regarded in sciences. Academically, you probably can't go wrong - except if you think you might be interested in optics in which case Rochester is the best choice - but it doesn't sound like that's a passsion of yours. If you were my kid, I'd advise that you get yourself accepted, and then go to the admitted student days - go to some classes, stay in the dorms, etc.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page