So... what do you think will happen with hpys

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: So... what do you think will happen with hpys
By Tommyy (Tommyy) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Hey...
After Yale's ea "massacre" and Princeton's ed acceptance rate of 32% and #1 ranking in the U.S and with Stanford dropping behind Penn in U.S. News rankings (even though i know that the rankings mean crap), what does everyone think will happen in the ed/ea round next year for those schools?

Will Yale and Stanford recieve less applications? Will there be a "massacre" at Princeton and Penn?? Lets see what everyone thinks!

By Vyasan (Vyasan) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:37 am: Edit

i bet stanford won't recieve less applications. the rankings are crap.

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:46 am: Edit

i agree, no matter what U.S. News says, people will always be dying to go to Stanford and they'll probably receive the same amount

By Marlgirl (Marlgirl) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:00 pm: Edit

I think Yale and Stanford will rise to the top. They seem to know what students really want. Princeton comes off as elitest in its tours and tries to give the impression that you have to prove you're good enough before they will even pay attention to you. I'm not sure if Harvard does this, but if so it wouldn't hurt them as much because many people think they actually are the best so they'd consider this point of view to be more justified. Stanford and Yale are more accessible. They are, in my experience, more welcoming and friendly. I bet they get more apps than Harvard or Princeton for students who really don't have a shot. College rankings are a business game, and Yale and Stanford are learning what the consumer wants. Notice how Stanford has put a LOT of effort into making more out of it's undergrad programs in the past 10 years or so? Students want colleges with great resources, a good name, bright, interesting, talented students, and a school that caters to undergrads. Stanford has a more west-coast feel to it (and great weather!) which is probably its biggest strength and its greatest weakness. Princeton and Harvard are going to have to work on marketing a bit if they want to keep up with Yale and Stanford in the next 5 years or so.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:22 pm: Edit

what happened at yale and standford ? whats the massacre your talking about?

By Takeheart (Takeheart) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:35 pm: Edit

I think that Princeton will see an increase in applications. It's high ED acceptance rate will encourage mediocre students to apply there early rather than the brutal SCEA schools, and with Princeton's generous aid that requires no loans, financial aid applicants have much less to worry about. Also, with the switch to the common app, many more students will probably throw in a "why not?" application, so RD apps should rise as well. Princeton still occupies the top spot in the rankings (for five years now, I think) so there wouldn't be a reason for apps to drop. Also, the new dean of admissions is working to get rid of the Princetonian stereotype of preppy white kids with money, so as that reputation begins to erode, more applications from "offbeat" students should arrive in the years to come. Yale's EA apps will probably decrease somewhat, as the reason so many people applied in the first place was because they thought Yale's EA would be easier than Harvard's. I think that Yale's record low admission rate will probably be a one time thing, rather than a new standard.

By Annakat (Annakat) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:40 pm: Edit

i think the fish in the ocean will begin to die and wash up on shores around the world, swarms of sparrows will suddenly fall out of the sky, locusts will descend upon all the ivy league schools and eat all the ivy. chevy's (the mexican restaurant chain) will buy the stanford campus and turn it into a megachevy's. all this because of yale's massacre.

By Keats (Keats) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:33 pm: Edit

"Princeton comes off as elitist in its tours and tries to give the impression that you have to prove you're good enough before they will even pay attention to you..." wow, that was not my impression at all. I'm a parent whose child is done with the college application process. There is a lot of good information here on CC (wish I'd had some of it earlier) but I hope that students and parents will thoroughly investigate schools for themselves. A tour at any school is only one means to assess that school, and if a school has what you are looking for in academics, extracurriculars, size, location--whatever your criteria are--don't let one tour or tour guide discourage you. Talk to many people in all different areas at the school and really dig to find out if that school is one that is right for you.
As to Princeton, we had a great tour. It was informative and interesting, and the tour guide was very good natured and humorous. During the rest of the visit, people stopped to point us in the right direction when they saw us with map in hand, and they chatted freely and happily about their school. One woman went into an office early to find information for my child, and a student very kindly led us to a building and eagerly answered questions while doing so. In fact, every single person we met was kind and helpful, every student, admission person, and professor. There was not even a hint of "elitism" or condescension of any kind from anyone. We got the impression that people at Princeton were happy, busy, and very helpful. They knew nothing at all about us, other than that there was an interest in their school.
No matter what happens with admissions this year,look with an open mind to find places that are good for YOU.

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:49 pm: Edit

What is Yale's Massacre? Can someone explain what's going on here? I'm Retarded!

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Yales Massacre is basically refers to the Early Action decisions -- (approximately) 16% admitted, 40% rejected, 44% deferred, which for early action is rediculous. Why? Over 4000 early applicants

By Liek0806 (Liek0806) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 10:40 pm: Edit

ohhhhh i get it now

By Tommyy (Tommyy) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

any more thougts? does anyone think there will be a princeton massacre??

By Jcf007 (Jcf007) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 11:58 am: Edit

I'm not sure but my advice to everyone is APPLY! APPLY! APPLY!...I have a sister at Yale, and I wanted to go there so I applied EA and was part of the massacre (deferred then rejected), but because i sent a "what the hell" application to Princeton RD I got in and I start there on the 4th...so just apply to every reach you've ever considered because no one a year ago could have predicted the Yale massacre, and I thought I had a very good shot.

By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

i think a lot more people will apply to penn...and the former HYPS hopefuls will actually be satisfied going there rather than fume over their rejection from HYPS

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page