Im at ucsd... should i transfer out?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Im at ucsd... should i transfer out?
By Aannggiiee (Aannggiiee) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Im currently going to attend UCSD in the fall. I *regretfully* chose ucsd over some amazing schools (UMichigan!!) bc of convinience (oy what was i thinking).
I really want to attend grad school (business or law) at an ivy after college.
.....Will my UCSD degree be respected enough outside of california at the ivys? Im worried because i feel that UCSD is only respected (and RANKED for that matter) in the sciences and anyone with a degree in political science or business from UCSD isnt taken as seriously. Should I consider transfering to a different university?

PS- Keep in mind that at UCSD, i can only major in Econ. They dont offer business as a major...

By Arthurd (Arthurd) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I strongly believe that if you succeed academically @ UCSD and you perform well on your LSAT, you will have a good shot at an ivy law school. UCSD is respected nationwide, and as long as your grades and LSAT are up to par, you'll be fine.

My 3 cents.

By Gcl24 (Gcl24) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:56 am: Edit

"i feel that UCSD is only respected (and RANKED for that matter) in the sciences and anyone with a degree in political science"

Actually, UCSD has a pretty strong political science departments. US news ranks it #3 in comparative politics.

By Afterhours (Afterhours) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 04:03 am: Edit

ouch.... UMich is such an awesome school

well goodluck to ya!

By Shyboy13 (Shyboy13) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

UCSD is awesome too! Be happy you go there. Grad/Professional school adcoms know about UCSD. Dont let some of the CC posters fool you. There are a great number of CC posters who dont really know what they talk about. Try to listen to the knowledgeable people for advice. If you really want to go to U Mich, you can always try to transfer later. If you dont get in, you still should be alright. BTW, UCSD has a very good econ department.

By Aeolus (Aeolus) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Aannggiiee - as a UCSD graduate I dont think UCSD is a disadvantage at all in applying to grad school/law school. In fact one of my good friends graduated from UCSD in three years and is finishing up his first year at Harvard Law. UCSD is one of the best public schools in the nation. I turned down Cal, NYU, Tulane for UCSD and I dont regret it at all.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I am here for poli sci took it over ucla and dont regret it at all. The poli sci department here is very very good. If I am not taken "seriously" with a degree from UCSD the people can kiss my ass. I think from your profile saying " Undergrad College Attended: Well... UCSD..." you should leave you choose to come here so get over it. The school is a top ranked school. I say please leave it so annoying when people just cant be happy going to college yet alone a school like UCSD. So yes please transfer because nobody is going to want to hear your whinning and with that "well ..ucsd" attitude you aren going to make any friends and be painfully lonely and hate it.

=)

By Aannggiiee (Aannggiiee) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:02 pm: Edit

Kriskrass- exxcuuseee me for being concerned. Im NOT whinning- Im thankful to have gotten in, trust me. Im just asking for advice, which i believe is what this board is for. Obviously i was wrong: Poli sci at UCSD is very distinguished- ok. I wanted to hear what others thought about/heard about its departments, other than its sciences.

& Shyboy-- thanks ... You're definitely right!

=)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:09 pm: Edit

I know several UCSD poli sci grads who have gone on to excellent law schools with no problem. If you're happy at UCSD overall, it's probably not worth the hassle to transfer and start over again. However, if you don't like UCSD for other reasons (i.e., social or whatever), then it's fine to transfer elsewhere. Good luck!

By Aannggiiee (Aannggiiee) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 03:32 pm: Edit

Thanks guys! this has all been really helpful. By any chance do any of you know anyone whos gone to business school after ucsd? Anyway, thanks again, its all vverryy appreciated! =)

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:07 pm: Edit

Angie, you should not worry.

First of all, the most respected majors in the eyes of top MBA programs are Engineering or Economics, not Business. Roughly 20% of MBA students majored in Business and 20% in Economics. BUT, there are 4 times as many Business majors out there as there are Economics majors. Over 30% of MBA students majored in Engineering. Check out the student profiles at 3 of the top 10 MBA programs in the nation:

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/admissions/images/KelloggFactsFigures03_041.pdf

http://www.bus.umich.edu/Admissions/Mba/Profile.htm

http://www.fuqua.duke.edu/admin/daymba/admissions/class_profile.html

Secondly, the most respected majors in the eyes of top Law Schools at Economics and Political Science.

UCSD is #7 in Political Science, #17 in Economics and #22 in Engineering (top 5 in Bioengineering). So you really won't have issues getting a top notch education in a field that is respected by both MBA programs and Law Schools.

I also want to draw your attention to the fact that 6 of Harvard's current Law Students are UCSD grads. Now I realize 6 doesn't sound like much, but most schools have few than 5, so UCSD clearly holds its own. Besides, most UCSD students at California residents and will probably want to practice Law in California, which means that the majority of UCSD's top students end up at Cal-Berkeley and Stanford. So 6 at Harvard is actually missleading.

http://www.law.harvard.edu/admissions/jd/colleges.php

In short, you are getting a top flight education at a first rate university while enjoying great weather and proximity to your home and loved ones. Plus, the money you save in your 4 years at UCSD will probably amount to the cost of your entire 3 years of Law School! Don't sweat it!

By Brandnew (Brandnew) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

Then again, there are 43 UCLA grads and 38 Berkeley grads at Harvard law, as well as 23 Umich grads so that's kind of a bad example to make. That being said, if you have the determination, drive, and intelligence, you can succeed anywhere, and UCSD is definitely an excellent place to do it.

By Bballerd7 (Bballerd7) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

no matter what UC you go to you are fine academically (except somethin like ucr, lol)

j/k. they're all great.

By Alexandre (Alexandre) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Brandnew, Michigan and Cal have much large out of state populations. Micigan's OOS student body is close to 10,000. Cal has about 2,500 out of state students. UCSD only has 900 out of state students. Also, a large number of students apply to Law school from Cal, UCLA and Michigan. I would have to say that UCSD is probably as effective at getting students into top Law schools as Michigan, Cal and UCLA.

By Brandnew (Brandnew) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Yes, I'm aware of that. As I said, it really depends on who you are as an individual rather than what school you're attending. And in the case of UCSD/UCLA/cal the difference in ease at getting into law school is negligible.

By Brandnew (Brandnew) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 04:29 pm: Edit

OOS is a funny acronym, haha

By Aeolus (Aeolus) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 06:42 pm: Edit

I think when you attend any of the first tier UCs, its how and what you do that matters the most. I am also thinking of law school in the future...not entirely sure yet. I will give it more though after I finish my MPhil in Politics but I dont think my UCSD degree will impede me in any way if I do apply. Btw, I highly recommend studying abroad while you are at UCSD and also participating in the UC-DC program. The latter brings you to Washington DC for one quarter. You do an internship/take a class/write a research paper. Its open to all majors eventhough its most popular with poli sci students. As an econ student, you can intern with the Congressional Budget Office/government agencies or private firms even.

By Incollege88 (Incollege88) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 07:06 pm: Edit

My good friend wanted very much to go to UCSD. He was denied admission--He will be attending UMich on a merit scholarship. Being regretful about where you're going to school is one of the dumbest things you can do before getting there. You've already committed to SD and you're going so get over it. UCSD is an awesome school and if you don't believe that you really shouldn't be there.

By Aannggiiee (Aannggiiee) on Sunday, August 22, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone.. all your input has actually made me really excited to go!! Just the last minute jitters i guess... I CHRONICALLY doubt myself. Anyway, seriously, thank you guys so much! and Alexandre, esp, thanks so much, those stats really, really helped.
=) Good luck all!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page