Completing my List. . .should I apply to UMich + Boston Coll

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Completing my List. . .should I apply to UMich + Boston Coll
By Neobez (Neobez) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I don't know. . .I told myself I would cap my applications to 10 schools, and apply to 9 if possible. here is my list so far:
Emory University (match)
University of Pennsylvania (reach)
Georgetown University (reach)
Brown University (reach)
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill (match)
University of Virginia (reach)
Dartmouth College (reach)
Duke University (reach)
University of Georgia (safety)
Georgia Institute of Technology (safety)

i'm definitely applying to the GA schools just to let you know, and definitely duke and georgetown. The ones I'm not so sure about: UVA, and UNC.
Not so sure about my major, but international relations, political science, english, journalism (if available) seem to hit the spot, and a minor in any of the above, classical studies or film.

I was into UMich quite a bit, but I was a bit turned off because their aid for out of state residents isn't so great at all, and it's about 38k (full) so I'm wondering if it's even worth applying.

Can I get some opinions about boston college and Umich? if my sat in october is satisfactory i think I have a decent shot at them.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

diggity bump

By Ay_Caramba (Ay_Caramba) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Well if you're worried about aid, BC guarantees to meet 100% of your demonstrated need, and I got just about the same financial aid from them as from Duke. BC's campus is rather nice and in a suburb of Boston. It's kind of, actually, REALLY, preppy, and I'm not sure if you're into that. As for your major, I'm not sure about BC's strength in any of those particular areas, but overall, it's a pretty good place to go for undergrad. If UNC-CH is a match for you out of state, BC probably is too. It's not a bad backup to your top choices, in fact, I probably would've gone there if I hadn't gotten into Duke.
On a national scale, however, Michigan is more widely known and respected, but BC is definitely a school on the rise.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 10:14 am: Edit

you have a sweet list BTW- if I were applying today I'd have the same one...

I applied to pretty much the same schools, and applied to UMich in September. Then I got in and cut out the safeties and just applied to the schools I really wanted to go to.

By Neobez (Neobez) on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:59 pm: Edit

Cool slipper. . .were you out of state for Umich? Did you apply for financial aid? If so, how was it?

I want to apply to UMich. . .but I'm wondering if their aid is as bad as some say for out of staters. It's very important to me. I have 10 schools already and I wanted to cut it to 9, so that's why I'm hesitant about putting Mich on there.

I would have liked Boston College's location and all (i think i will get in, but I'm not applying). . .but yeah. ..not sure i'd like a really preppy place (though I suppose georgetown is pushing it)

Any other recommendations for schools before I call my list "final"?

any opinions on Macalester?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page