What do you know about these schools

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: What do you know about these schools
By Thekev (Thekev) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:03 pm: Edit

Some of 'em i know a lot about, others I don't. I'm just looking for info on these schools.

Boston University
Rice
Yeshiva
Denison
Xavier
UC Davis
UCLA
Ogelthorpe
Hendrix
U of Maryland College Park
Lane College

By Cangel (Cangel) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

Oglethorpe is a small lovely liberal arts college in metro Atlanta. The immediate surrounding area is kind of ugly light industrial, but it is a short drive to Buckhead (tony Atlanta), and, if I'm not mistaken there is a MARTA (subway) station immediately across the street. The campus itself is fenced and is lovely college Gothic.
I think they give merit money, and have some good internships - one of the best students my high school teacher husband ever had went to Ogle on a full scholarship, she is working on a PhD in Chemistry, I don't remember where exactly, but a large state uni with a good program.

By Calif (Calif) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Denison is an excellent school. It has a strong national reputation, and was ranked as one of the nation's top 50 liberal arts colleges by U.S. News & World Report this year.

Denison has one of the most beautiful campuses in the country, and this fall added an impressive $24 million biological science building.

Granville, where the college is located, has a lot of character and feels very much like a New England town.

Denison possesses a large endowment (over $400 million), and is very generous with merit aid and financial aid.

It's become a popular school, receiving more than 4,900 applicants in 2003.

By Flopsy (Flopsy) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

UCLA: The largest university in California. Has an urban campus for about 25,000 undergrads located in Westwood, Los Angeles, an affluent semi-college town that's quite expensive to live in nowadays. Primarily pre-med/pre-law, but also has a good school of Theater, Film and Television. Ranked 25th by US News and World Report. UCLA sent 55 Bruins (the school mascot) to the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens representing various countries. For this fall, UCLA recieved 43,000+ applications; The admitted student profile is as follows: Median SAT I composite is 1346, median GPA is 4.10, 89.5% from in-state.

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:53 pm: Edit

oglethorpe was named after james oglethorpe, founder of the colony of georgia! let's hope AP US paid off, though I have no doubt in my mind that what i said was completely wrong.

By Entropicgirl (Entropicgirl) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 09:24 pm: Edit

UCLA is beautiful, and even though it's in a major city, the campus feels like its own thing--on at least one side, there's such a wall of vegetation between it and the outside that I didn't even notice that we were going to leave campus. It also has a bus system that starts right outside campus and will take you all over the place (my dad praised it at all opportunities, and he went there). Oh, and it's been adding a lot of specific science majors (the most recent was biophysics), so you might want to check those out. Plus it's building some new research facilities, lots of cool interdisciplinary sorts of stuff.

UC Davis feels gigantic and confusing at the beginning, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Lots of stretches of grass, lots of cork oaks and other fun trees, and--OF COURSE--lots of bikes. Everyone bikes around (because it's so spread out), and at first I was afraid of getting run over, but you get used to it, and even though I'm totally unathletic, it was a lot of fun. The town is rather small, but that might be what you're looking for, and it's pretty *cute*. (I spent six weeks there at a summer research program--my prof was really friendly, and so were the undergrads, grad students, and post-docs in my lab, and there was definitely a sort of "well, if you don't know, we'll teach you" culture in the lab, which is good if you're an undergrad looking to get into research).

Those are the only two I know anything about...

By Thekev (Thekev) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

What about Lane, Yeshiva, and the others?

By Cangel (Cangel) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

An APUSH "5" for Ahwosq!

By Jerome12345 (Jerome12345) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:13 am: Edit

rice has lots of merit aid and is high up on the us news rankings...prob the highest rank in you list and IMO the best on your list

UCLA is too big; you are just a number
beautiful campus tho

By Ahwosg (Ahwosg) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:11 am: Edit

i got a 4. :D

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

You do know that Xavier is a historically black college right? Unless there's another one I don't know about...

By Catalinaword (Catalinaword) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

never mind i guess you're talking about a different one

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Hendrix is a great little liberal arts school. Even though it's in Arkansas, it has a very liberal student body - I've heard it compared to Grinnell's student body. But it is a small student body - 1100 students. Beautiful campus, very good academics, lots of personal attention, great study abroad opportunities. Has very good law school and med school placement rates and a good cs department for such a small school. Hendrix is Extremely generous with financial aid and merit scholarships - and total cost is low to begin with, something like $25,000 a year including room/board.

By Rmerolachc (Rmerolachc) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

When you say "Yeshiva", are you referring to Yeshiva University in NYC?

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 01:42 pm: Edit

davis is a good school. even though it has over 100 majors, it's well known for it's veterinary school. it's the largest UC campus acre per acre which is why most people ride bikes there to get around. the football, basketball, and water polo team just moved to division 1, and it is located within in an hour or two from both san francisco and lake tahoe. for more just go here: http://www.ucdavis.edu/about.html

By Genova (Genova) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

College Park has a beautiful campus, and it's just outside of Washington, which I imagine could be very useful both academically and personally. Loads of majors, as well as other programs (like two-year citations in International Studies, Life Sciences, etc.) I myself am interested in applying there for International Studies and Germanic Studies.

Sports are pretty important (i.e. school/team spirit is high), and there's also a marching band (if you're into that). Dorms are...tiny, and some of them aren't even air-conditioned. GREAT food.

They are becoming rather selective for a public university, too (I think they except less than half). Average HS GPA of 3.86, though I'm not sure what the expectations are in terms of courseload. 75% of the students are from Maryland; the student body didn't seem incredibly diverse (statistics estimate 60% Caucasian).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page