Opinions on university of pacific in cali?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Opinions on university of pacific in cali?
By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Going there probably because i heard of there awsome pre-dental plan.

Opinions?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

Great for pre-dental. Beautiful campus. Kind of a party school because there's not much to do in Stockton. Decent academics but not exactly an academic hothouse - pre-dental and pre-pharm are their two best programs. They do have a new honors program that looks pretty good. Jamie Lee Curtis is an alumnus. They guarantee you'll get your Bachelor's in 4 years or they'll pay for you to finish.

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I live about 40 minutes from Stockton. Every year a few people from around here go there. I'd say for price and academics (not that UOP is bad) that if you're a CA resident, go to a UC. That's just my opinion. UOP has a law school (McGeorge law school in Sacramento) and I know one guy (Who is really smart) who's going into the UOP undergrad/grad dental program. I think it's 3 + 3. So that's what I know.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

yea im from alaska and all, no decent colleges here.

Carolyn for my stats if you remember which others are matches/safeties for business/dental?

=Zac

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Zac - remind me of your stats again - I seem to remember your SATs were in the 1100 range but I could be wrong. If you want Calif, another school to add on would be the University of Redlands and possibly the University of San Diego. But remind me again of your stats.

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Friday, August 20, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

when i apply 3.2-3.3 gpa by the time i graduate 3.5

sat 1100 (retaking)

also taking sat II writing to help me out.

Decent ec's
worked as lifeguard 20+ hrs a week for long period of time (18 months)
community service with my church (recomendation there)
sports 3 yrs (varsity fball)

By Zacdizzle (Zacdizzle) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

bump

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 01:01 pm: Edit

I've lived in Stockton all of my 19 years (minus the time I've been away for school in LA). Growing up I always wanted to go to UOP, but then as I grew older I realized I needed to go farther away than a 3 minute drive. :) The campus is amazingly beautiful. Gorgeous old brick buildings, tons of grass, and huge trees. I've never heard it described as a party school before, although the Greek system puts on some huge parties. The pharmacy and music program have great reputations. Stockton isn't always the most exciting place, but the city has been making huge strides in giving it more of a community atmosphere and bringing in more fun things to do (we just got a 16 screen theater, and minor league soccer and hockey are coming- to join baseball that's already here).

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 02:11 pm: Edit

Zac, U of Pacific would be a good match/safety for you. Take a look at the University of Redlands (match), University of San Diego (realistic reach), and Santa Clara U (realistic reach). These are some nice, solid schools. If you want to be a little closer to home, look at Willamette in Oregon (probably a realistic reach) and University of Puget Sound in Washington State (match). Good luck!

By Dadofsam (Dadofsam) on Monday, August 23, 2004 - 02:25 pm: Edit

Zac: listen to Carolyn. UCs are not an option for you.
UOP has some good programs; the daughter of one of our friends, who ar picky about schools, is about to start there. Campus is nice. Stockton is not an exciting city, but is less than 2 hours from San Framncisco, less than an hour from Sacramento and, if you get lonesome for snow, is only a few hours drive from the Sierras and Lake Tahoe.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page