Northeastern Breaks Into the Second Tier

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Search and Selection: August 2004 Archive: Northeastern Breaks Into the Second Tier
By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:28 pm: Edit

Northeastern is now Tier II!!!! Sure its at the lower end of the second tier, but its no longer in the unranked third tier (i.e. the abyss).

Lenk is going to have to come up with something new to say!

LOL!

For the people who have access to the premium addition, please post NEU's rank in the following categories:

1. Business

2. Engineering:

3. Rank in Computer Science

4. Rank in international business

Thanks.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:45 pm: Edit

Is it that serious?

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:46 pm: Edit

There goes Alan agian hyping NEU. I don't think I would hype and pump a lower end tier 2 school. Alan ,however, will continue to pump NEU regardless. What a joke.

By Ksolo (Ksolo) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:54 pm: Edit

Well, Northeastern has now become a reputable school these days. No longer is it a safety school anymore. There was an article about how institutions that were formerly known as "safeties" have now become reaches because of the rising number of high school seniors, also that the number of competitive applicants are on the rise. And it lists Northeaster n as one of the examples. It's reputation is rising. So I'm not surprised that it's bumped up to Tier 2.

By Slipper2002 (Slipper2002) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Tier 2 still is below SO MANY Schools!! I mean, "yea"

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Hey Lenk, what took you so long? So NEU is now a "lower end tier 2 school." LOL! What happened to being a "Tier III commuter school" that has had to go "deep into its wait list to fill spots." LOL! The point is that now that NEU is over the threshold it will continue to rise in the rankings at an even faster rate. By the way, although NEU is at the lower end of tier II, it is rated as "more selective." Last year the school received 25,000 applications for 2800 spots. You bet that Northeastern will be flooded with even more applications this year.

Nice try Lenk!

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

"Tier 2 still is below SO MANY Schools!! I mean, "yea""

True, but its still a full two tiers above several hundred schools.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:36 pm: Edit

It' still much, much less selective than the Middlesex Community College nursing program.

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:45 pm: Edit

LOL! This is a joke right? what's is MCC's acceptance rate. This year Northeastern received 24,000 applications for 2800 spots and the acceptance rate was 42%. In terms of selectivity NEU is rated as "Highly Competitive by Barrons" and "More Selective" by U.S. News.

So who has access to the Premium edition?

By Lenk58 (Lenk58) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Alan is known for hyping and pumping NEU. If he is happy hyping a lower end tier2 school that is his choice. All he needs to do is look at the numbers and facts. It's good to be proud of ones school but the constant hyping is to much.Look at grad rates profs with Phd's, retention rate, peer assessment, selectivity rating and academic rating, nothing really to hype with every single post. I think if NEU was a really good school Alan would be so pumped he would explode.

By Kriskrass (Kriskrass) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 03:58 pm: Edit

god alan5 is the worst dude on this board BY FAR. GET OVER IT. Is this all you have in your life? an endless assortment of lame ranking systems that somehow validate your being? everyone on colelgeconfidential now knows northeaster isnt a girls school for northwestern ok thanks !

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:01 pm: Edit

Congrats you can now say I go to a school ranked 120th!

It's a decent school but seriously stop hyping it. And btw it's still a safety school for the vast majority of people on these boards.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

"LOL! This is a joke right? what's is MCC's acceptance rate. This year Northeastern received 24,000 applications for 2800 spots and the acceptance rate was 42%. In terms of selectivity NEU is rated as "Highly Competitive by Barrons" and "More Selective" by U.S. News."

No joke. MCC's Nursing Program this year accepted slightly under 10% of its applicants, ranking it with Yale, and slightly better than Princeton and Harvard. It is more than four times as selective as Northeastern (that school for slackers.)

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

LOL, Lenk, NEU improved in every category this year which explains its rise in the rankings. The numbers for the class that will be entering NEU this year are even higher than last yearís entering class (the new rankings are based on stats for class that entered in 2003).

To put things in perspective, less than ten years ago, NEU was a fourth tier commuter school with an ugly campus. The school had very high acceptance rate of the 90%. Fast forward to today, NEU is now a top tier (formerly tier II) university and has become one of the more selective schools in New England. NEUís acceptance rate this year was a low 42%. NEU is also residential university and now has one of the most attractive urban campuses in the country. And then there is the co-op programÖÖ

NEUís administration is simply following the same model successfully employed by BC and BU in the 1970s and 80s. A leap from the fourth tier to the second tier is certainly nothing to sneeze at. So am I excited? You bet!

More about Northeasternís rise:

http://chronicle.com/temp/reprint.php?id=i7qai7vlfwmqc9zpb1suaa3zff9zznrh

http://www.boston.com/globe/search/stories/reprints/ahigher080803.htm

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:11 pm: Edit

By the way, the only reason that I posted this thread was to •••• of Lenk. I'm glad that I succeeded.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Alan5: yes it's impressive that NEU has gone up so much in the past few decades. It shows how the school is committed to improvement. The school has gotten a lot better but it is still not on par with a large number of schools in the nation. It really has no stand out program. All of its programs are still mediocre. Yes it might have a good "co-op" program. However, this program, as good as it might be, doesn't compare to the possible internships, jobs, etc. that can be won by going to a top school. I actually like NEU and the fact that it's improving and hopefully in 2-3 decades it breaks into the top tier of schools. However, at the moment it is still a safety school for many people and a good target for a B-/C+ student.

By Mini (Mini) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Location. Location. Location. Put it out there in the center of Illinois, and it couldn't compete with Bradley. (Hey -- location is worth a lot, actually!)

Whereas, put Middlesex Community College Nursing Program out in the center of Illinois and it would still be packed!

And have you seen the new campus?

http://www.middlesex.cc.ma.us

By Alan5 (Alan5) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:28 pm: Edit

No offense Bern, but people used to say the same things about Boston College, Boston University, and NYU in the 1970s and 80s. In fact some people still think of these schools as not being very good. I guess that it depends on your perspective. By the way, I think I already proved that Northeastern's co-op program is just a good as the internship programs at many of the top schools. But does NEU place as many students in IBanks as Wharton? Certainly not. But 3000 employers, including top companies like Microsoft, IBM, Fidelity, Merrill Lynch, and Raytheon is nothing to sneeze at. Besides its great location and amazing campus, Northeastern's co-op program gives the school an edge over many higher ranked competitors. In terms of a target, the average GPA of this year's class was 3.51. Northeastern would be a reach for someone with a B-/C+ and target for B+/A- student. Bern do you have access to the premium edition?

By Politics2008 (Politics2008) on Thursday, August 19, 2004 - 04:40 pm: Edit

Can anyone tell me where Johns Hopkins, Bates, Willamette University, NYU, Duke or the University of Vermont ranks?

Thank you greatly!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page